The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

red clover

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Red Cedar Mulch is Annoying Me!| Next thread: Red currant bush »
Back to Thread index
by froggyqueen on August 06, 2004 06:51 PM
We have patches of red clover all over our yard, along with nasty crab grass. So far we have found nothing that will help with the red clover. Is there anything out there we can get to put on the clover to get rid of it?
by The Plant Doc on August 07, 2004 05:10 AM
Red Clover tends to repel water or herbicides, since its pores are very small. This can easily be over come by adding 2 teaspoons of dish washing liquid per gallon of mix to any 2.4.D. type of a weed spray. This will break the surface tension of the water which will enable it to stick to the leaf surface. If you wish you could go out and buy a commercial product called a "spreader sticker", but it is pretty much the same thing as dish soap, just a lot more expensive.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by froggyqueen on August 07, 2004 07:26 AM
thank you !!! Who knew!! Dishsoap isnt just for dishes anymore!!! [thumb] I will definately give it a try and let you know how it works.
by Phil and Laura on August 07, 2004 05:34 PM
[shocked] But.... Clover is a member of the legume family so shares that family’s ability to make use of the nitrogen in the atmosphere. Hence it will always grow better than the lawn grasses. In fact, some gardeners decide to take advantage of its hardiness and grow a completely clover lawn.I for one, am satisfied with what Mother nature decides to "grow"; However, if you wish to control clover in the lawn,Your safest bet is to either Cut the clover extra low (weed-eater) or put boiling water on the'intruder' to slow it's growth, then FEED YOUR LAWN The well fed grass will out grow the clover, clover usually appears in lawns low in Nitrogen.
It's the cheapest and most EARTH FRIENDLY way to go
by froggyqueen on August 08, 2004 07:02 AM
He just fertilized the lawn today, but I know we have been fighting the clover business for a while and nothing has helped. I know some people thinks is pretty ( and in its own weedy intrusive way it is ) but Mark is anul about his lawn and he hates the clover. I have sat and pulled some but wheeew thats too much like work. I think the reason why we get so much of it is an empty feild across the street from us. It has all kinds of ummm unique thingys growing there. Oh well, I gave him the suggestions and the rest is up to him. He mows and I umm try not to kill the flowers. [lala]
by The Plant Doc on August 14, 2004 03:51 AM
I would not want to pour boiling water over any lawn area that I was trying to restore. The hot water will kill the lawn. Just setting a hot cup of coffee on the lawn can do a lot of damage. Just look at my lawn where I sit in the morning [Roll Eyes]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Red Cedar Mulch is Annoying Me!| Next thread: Red currant bush »
Back to Thread index