The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help! Bought Caladium; later found that they are poisonous to cats. What should I do?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: HELP! - Mould| Next thread: Help! Dying floorstanding plant :( »
Back to Thread index
by new-gardener on April 24, 2005 03:40 AM
I just bought about 5 pots of caldium. I thought they would be a perfect addition to my atrium. Well, I just learned that they are supposed to be poisonous to cats. (I have four cats.)
Now, I have seen certain cat and dog repellents, such as "Get Away". I wonder if this would be effective, and if it would be safe for the plants?
Should I just give it up and take the them back for a refund? (The plants, not the cats) [Big Grin]
Or if any one else has any other idea or remedy, please fill me in.

I am a new gardener, any suggestions appreciated!
by MissJamie on April 24, 2005 04:37 AM
hi there and welcome!! [wayey] if I were you I'd take the plants back and get my money to get something that isn't harmful to your furbabies. Those repellents may not help and cats can be very curious animals!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by tkhooper on April 24, 2005 05:44 AM
Definitely don't risk your cats.

There are a multitude of lovely plants to choose from. Somewhere there is even a better looking choice than the caladium. If you want to I will even help you look for it on the net. I'm sure we can find some.

How great to have an atrium.

Coleus come in a wide variety of color combinations easily as attractive as the caladium and can last several years as long as the flower spikes are pinched back. They are very easy care plants.

Pokadot plants also have lovely color. both of these plants are non-toxic. And this is just a few of the possibilities.

-
 -
by new-gardener on April 24, 2005 07:58 AM
[Smile] Thank you so much for your help! I checked out the Coleus and pokadot plant, those are exactly what I have been looking for! The colors are PERFECT!!!
YAY! I am SO excited now, I can't wait to go buy some!
I wonder, are they common? Sorry, I don't mean to sound silly, I am new at this.
Do you think that I will have trouble finding them? I don't recall seeing any at the the Home Depot (that is where I got the Caladium),
but maybe I overlooked them.
Anyhow, thanks a million!

I am a new gardener, any suggestions appreciated!
by tkhooper on April 24, 2005 01:32 PM
Very very common both plants. Here is a link to a place that ships coleus and can you believe the selection.
Coleus

I couldn't find one for the other plant but you should find them at one of your stores. Even wal-mart, Fred Meyers or whatever you have along those lines.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 24, 2005 03:52 PM
Pulmonaria Also provides a colorful foliage in a shade plant. It appears to be non-poisonous also. How I wish I had some shade. This one you may have to look on-line for. I don't think I've ever seen it in stores in my area at least. But then there are so many varieties it's hard to know.

Here is a link that Weezie found for them

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: HELP! - Mould| Next thread: Help! Dying floorstanding plant :( »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: