The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I'd like to get rid of my grass and replace it

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Nako on July 09, 2004 03:03 AM
Hi everyone ^.^

Okie dokie, my dad says he's sick of mowing the lawn, annnnnnnnnnnnd i don't wana do it either lol. So ya, he asked me to post this.

Dad would like to know if there's something out there that's low maintenance, can stand up to weeds, is low growing, and can survive being walked on. So ya ^.^ If you guys have any suggestions, that'd be coolios!

Thank you!
[Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Meg on July 09, 2004 03:39 AM
Concrete? Pavement? [Big Grin] j/k ya know. I don't know what would be a good cover, that would stand up to being trudged over. Maybe someone else will have a decent idea. [thinker]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Nako on July 09, 2004 04:17 AM
Actually, we could just do a walkway to the picnic*sp* table, barn and shed. That would work out ^.^

Okie dokie, skip the "walk around on it" part lol.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Phil and Laura on July 10, 2004 02:35 PM
A Plant that WILL grow well there Nako is Roman Chamomile, gets about 4" max and gives a lovely scent when walked on (smells much stronger than the taller "german chamomile") kinda like green apples, Plus has a Bazillion medicinal uses(as long as you are not alleric to it) It grows out of the gravel in the driveway here! [dunno] Here is a pic-link Roman Chamomile
by Jiffymouse on July 10, 2004 05:23 PM
does it really have the flowers? or are they another plant, and while it deter fleas (see my other post in plant pests.....)
by Newt on July 12, 2004 02:49 AM
Hi Nako,
You might want to take a look here.

http://stepables.com/
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/groundcover.html

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Nako on July 12, 2004 07:05 AM
Thank you very much Phil, and Newt [Smile] Those definately help.

Actually, Phil; we have those growing along our walkway. I always thought they were wild daisies! They look exactly like the ones in the picture though, so i guess they're not daisies ^.^ I would just love to fill the yard full of irises of all different colors [flower] but i don't see that happening lol.

Anywho Newt, i'll give my dad those sites ^.^ He can look em over and descide what's goin on.

Thank you both so much [kissies]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by frustratedattimes on July 12, 2004 03:21 PM
You may want to look into Walk-On-Me Plant. It is a creeping thyme that grows only 3" tall. (Also called Mother of Thyme). Gives off a cool fragrance when you walk on it. I believe it is an evergreen as well.
Another to look at is Irish moss.

Hope this helps [thinker]

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by Nako on July 21, 2004 07:07 AM
I was thinking;
Do you think mint, and other low growing things like that would last there? There's a patch of peppermint in the middle that's all low to the ground, and it smells good when we hit it with the mower over the years. If i plant that in different parts of the yard, would it take over? cuz that'd be nice [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Shani on July 22, 2004 06:42 PM
You could always put in a nice moss,

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Nako on July 22, 2004 07:37 PM
Oooooooo true! Do you think the moss would have any trouble competing with the other plants, or would it just take over and stay in its spot? Moss is great [Smile] If we had moss, we could have our very own giant putting green!

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Newt on July 23, 2004 05:36 PM
Nako, There are low growing types of mint that would work. I think they are listed on that Stepables site. Moss tends to grow slowly, so it won't take over. You will have to keep weeds out of it if you have something else there that is invasive.

There is a grass called Buffalo grass. It's a very short grass and only needs cutting once or twice a year. Take a look at these two sites. Do keep in mind that it goes a tan color in the winter.

Buffalo grass
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/articles/buffalo.html

Hope this helps,
Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by barleychown on July 23, 2004 07:33 PM
I saw a lawn made out of thyme...it was really neat!

Maybe that's an option? [dunno]

I see it has been suggested once, but I really like the look of it, and am considering doing it myself! [thumb]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: