The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Brown patches in lawn

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: brown leaves on my Lilies| Next thread: brown pepper spots »
Back to Thread index
by xeifrank on July 05, 2004 07:21 PM
Hi

I have some spotty brown patches on my lawn. My lawn is about 8 months old, so at first I thought I wasn't getting enough coverage with my sprinkler system. So I began hand watering the brown patchy areas, but that didn't seem to help. Then I thought maybe I had grubs, so I applied some grub killer and watered to the affected areas, that didn't work either. Now today I noticed some poop droppings in one of the brown patches. I thought maybe a rabbit has gotten into my backyard (I've seen one), but not sure if this is the kind of damage they would do. The grass starts out by getting brown, then pretty soon that grass dries out and dies leaving a small dirt patch. If I let the grass grow very tall, it will eventually cover the patch, but after the next mow the same cycle ensues. The brown patches are usually a few inches in diameter and there are probably 5 or 6 of them, all on one side of the backyard.

Thoughts?

thanks,

Xeifrank

When trouble troubles me, I trouble trouble.
by weezie13 on July 29, 2004 08:33 PM
To the top!!!

Anyone??????????????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Phil and Laura on July 31, 2004 03:50 PM
Dogs?? Neighborhood dogs?? Taking a Whizz on your lawn [dunno]
Actually, the dog spots are distinguishable from other problems, by a luxurious growth ring around the edges of the dead spot. Dollar spot, will have a cobbwebby growth visible in the morning when dew is present.Your problem by explanation, rules out Rhizoctonia yellow patch because it has a distinctive 'frog-eye' pattern which has a dead spot surrounded by green turf, then an surrounding ring of dead grass. Water the affected area(assuming dog damage) to wash out residual salts left by Man's BEST Friend to help the grass recover...I would Bet that this is your problem [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: brown leaves on my Lilies| Next thread: brown pepper spots »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: