The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

killing eucalyptus roots

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Killing a Large Bush - How?| Next thread: Killing Eucalyptus Trees »
Back to Thread index
by goatfarmer on January 10, 2005 07:15 AM
I have noted the post about glyphosate used to kill roots of eucalyptus and the instruction that glyphosate must be painted while the wound is fresh.

Problem: I cut the trees two weeks ago. I tried to burn the stumps. Didn't work. Does it mean that I will have to recut the stumps? There are 500 of them. Big job. Is there another way to kill the roots?

How soon thereafter can I plant other trees?
by The Plant Doc on January 10, 2005 04:01 PM
That is a very hard question to answer, without knowing what is availible to you over there. Poly glyphosate should do the trick, but like you mentioned it should be done right away. You could wait for the trees to start sending up sucker growth and spray the area with poly glyphosate. But that will kill off anything else that is growing in the area as well.
If you are wanting to turn the area into a lawn type of a situation, then you could go ahead and spray over the lawn with a 2.4.D type of a herbicide. (if availible to you) This will not harm most established grasses. Make certain to read the lable to find out if your grasses are on the no kill list.

Good Luck!

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by weezie13 on January 10, 2005 04:21 PM
Welcome To The Garden Helper's Forum, Goatfarmer!
We are very glad you found us!!

Just wanted to Welcome you and tell you I took a peak at your homepage, and those goats are so cute!!!!!! And your gardens/lawns look very nice.
Thanks for sharing!!

I have to ask, how close you are to were the Tsunami's hit! Hope all is okay with you and your family and the goats!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by catlover on January 12, 2005 04:00 PM
Welcome to the Garden Helper Forum Goatfarmer [wayey]
Njoynit suggested I get rid of my oleanders by drilling holes in the tops of the cuts and then pouring some round up into the holes. I have not yet done this but it is on my Must~do list. I can spray those oleanders til I am blue in the face and it is taking forever .....so my next step is to drill and pour. I cannot burn in the area I am located so that is out for me. Spraying kills only a small portion of the stems for me and then I use my hand axe and cut off the dead stuff but like I said it is taking forever. Drilling and applying r.up is my next solution.
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Killing a Large Bush - How?| Next thread: Killing Eucalyptus Trees »
Back to Thread index