The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

CANNING AND PRESERVING FOOD

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by mike57 on April 11, 2005 10:24 AM
HI [wayey] all heres a link for canning food from your gardens.i saw another post requesting a forum on it so thought i would share a couple of links with evryone.hope you all enjoy.
http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/
[Wink]
http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/master01.html
your friend in gardening.mike57 [thumb] [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by tkhooper on April 11, 2005 06:32 PM
Thank you for the links Mike,

If you happen to run upon a green bean canning recipe that includes bacon or fat back as well as dill could you let me know. I recieved some one year from one of my ex-husbands co-workers wifes but they moved shortly there after and I could never get the recipe. I'd be afraid to add meat to anything canned as an experiment so I am hoping someday to run into someone who knows how that flavor was added to the green beans. There was no actual bacon or meat in the jars we recieved and there didn't appear to be any grease in the jars either. But i would have sworn that the beans had been cooked in bacon fat.

-
 -
by hisgal2 on April 11, 2005 11:45 PM
Its very possible that the beans were cooked with bacon. That is how my family has always made them. Where the beans dead, or kind of crunchy? My family kills the beans when they cook them and we like it that way, but you can never find them like that up here in PA. Stephen doesn't like them dead either...he likes them still kickin'. [Big Grin]

-
 -

-
by Dixie Angel on April 12, 2005 08:05 PM
I have to ask, Jenn. How do you kill beans? [Big Grin] Are you a vegetable murderer? [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by hisgal2 on April 12, 2005 08:19 PM
Oh! [Big Grin] We cook them until they are pretty soft. Stephen calls them mush. [Big Grin] Up here in Pa, people like them kind of crunchy. [nutz]

-
 -

-
by Dixie Angel on April 12, 2005 09:51 PM
Ok! Gotcha! I like dead beans, too, with a lot of "pot liquor". [Big Grin] If they aren't cooked long enough, they taste like boiled peanuts to me! I love boiled peanuts, but not over my rice. As a matter of fact, I am killing some pintos now for supper! [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on April 13, 2005 07:05 AM
TK..I think you would be fine to can the green beans using bacon as the seasoning. My grandmother alway canned meat. She would make stew and can it and would boil chicken and can them for chicken & dumplings or other chicken recipes. She did that to save her freezer space and because she did not drive so couldn't just run to the store and grab a chicken...(although she could run to the back yard and grab one) [Big Grin]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by duckie on April 26, 2005 01:38 AM
dead beans [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] that is so funny.

I like mine both ways.I cook 'em with bacon and onion 'til they're dead.

I also eat 'em in my garden.

Hey Mike,very good info on those sites.

Thanks very much.

-
 -
by Belleoftheball on May 02, 2005 06:24 PM
Thanks for the sites, Mike. I'm in upstate S.C. and no vegetable is safe on our farm. Everything gets killed. Green beans. Any kind of bean. Squash. Zucchini. If it isn't killed by being cooked to death, it's fried. The maddest my Momma has ever been at me was last summer when I had eaten every fried thing I could stand. We were having lunch, and all I said was 'please don't fry my cantaloupe.' Everything else was fried, after all.

Note to self: never criticize Momma's cooking. She went on strike and didn't cook for 2 weeks.

Belle

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by Lucy Lou on July 21, 2005 08:51 AM
Can bacon be safely added to green beans when canning them?

Bacon, which is very high in fat, should not be added to vegetables or tomato vegetable mixtures that are to be canned. Fat can protect Clostridium boutlinum spores that produce botulism toxin so that the usual processing times will be too short to kill them.

If you wanted a dill pickle bean recipe, I can post it for you. They are crispy, and tart.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: