The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

my babies- gettin some sun

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: MY BABIES!!| Next thread: My Baby Zucchini »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on March 31, 2006 03:36 AM
set my babies out today to get some sun in the almost 70 weather! woohoo! there are some tomatoes, peppers, cukes, basil, cilanto, and i'm experimenting with the corn. i thought *maybe* since they ar ein peat pots i could just plant the whole thing in the ground and get a head start? we'll see how it works- if it doesn't work i still have a bunch of seed to plant directly in the ground.

-
by peppereater on March 31, 2006 04:51 AM
'Though corn is rarely recommended for starting inside, I just read in one of my gardening books that the author plants her corn in peat pots. When they go outside, make sure and plant them in a clump, or mound, a few inches apart with at least 3 or 4 to a clump where they can pollinate each other. If you start enough for rows, plant four rows for best pollination.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by pagarden on March 31, 2006 12:45 PM
yea- it's just my first experiment with starting indoors. i only started 4 and am going to start 4 more this weekend so they are staggered. last few years i think i had about 9-12 plants and i plant them in a big square since it's not really enough for rows. and i'll help pollinate them too- just to make sure although there usually are quite a few bees up there! let's hope this works!
by comfrey on March 31, 2006 01:23 PM
Also with the peat pots you will need to tear them when you plant them, They are suppose to break down, but don't always do that and can cause your plant to not be able to grow to its full size

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: MY BABIES!!| Next thread: My Baby Zucchini »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: