The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Re-seeding

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Re-Rooting Ivy| Next thread: re-used window inserts »
Back to Thread index
by Redcedar on May 24, 2004 08:17 PM
Two questions:
Can I use peat as a mulch on a newly seeded lawn (that is on a steep slope) until the grass becomes established?

Is there any "best" way (no chemicals) to get rid of/control creeping buttercup before it takes over the entire lawn?
by gardengal on May 24, 2004 08:53 PM
I can answer one of your questions... yes, you should be able to use peat moss as a mulch for your new grass. Put a good layer of it on there, keep it moist and it should work fine. Hopefully you won't get a heavy rain that will wash the seeds and everything back down the slope. [Wink]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by papito on May 27, 2004 12:25 AM
Creeping Buttercup (RANUNCULUS repens), is a broadleaf perennial that reproduces by seed and by rooting at the nodes of creeping stems.

This is from the Western Garden Book:

It will be a lot of work if you don't want to use chemicals. In lawns, dig up creeping buttercup, roots and all or cut the tops of the plant repeatedly until the roots stop resprouting. Improve drainage. Creeping buttercupm likes moist soil and will perpetually flourish. If improving drainage is not possible, consider planting a ground cover that is tolerant of damp soils instead of trying to grow lawn grass.( a little bit harsh don't you think?)

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Redcedar on May 27, 2004 07:45 PM
Thanks papito.
I know all about Ranunculus repens and its "take over" habit. I just wondered if there was a "quick fix" way to control it other than chemicals. Guess not.
I do like the idea of using a ground cover other than boring old lawn grass, unfortunately it's not my lawn to make that decision. I'm just the labourer you might say.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Re-Rooting Ivy| Next thread: re-used window inserts »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: