The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

asparagus bed refurbishing..

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: asparagus| Next thread: asparagus beetles »
Back to Thread index
by Mike_P on March 30, 2006 10:54 PM
My wife and I plant a yearly garden, it does quite well, aside from droughts, heavy rains and woodland creatures, some of which we have no control. The one area that has never done well is the asparagus patch. Here's what I want to do.. Last night, I hit the weeds with roundup, and I would like to shallow till the patch tonight, then cover with a nice layer of composted cow manure. Then, later in the spring, plant more plants. Is this a good game plan? Thanks, Mike.
by Longy on March 31, 2006 12:16 AM
Spraying with roundup was a waste of time if you're going to till. Once the weeds are turned in the roundup won't do anything. It kills weeds as they grow. If they aren't growing, they aren't dieing. Anyway, tilling them will kill them regardless.
Why not till the manure into the soil too?
Aparagus likes plenty of phosphorous, a dressing of rock phosphate or superphosphate if you don't mind using chemical ferts will increase your yield.
You may also need to give the soil a dressing of dolomite as they like a soil with a Ph of 6.5-7.

-
The secret is the soil.
by 'Sparagus on March 31, 2006 04:02 AM
What worked for me was going a year without harvesting any. I was pregnant 2 years ago and for some reason I just wouldnt eat it. So I let it all grow. Last year, my asparagus was AMAZING! It really seemed to benefit from that year of growing.

Might be hard to do, but worth it!

[flower] Karen
by Amigatec on March 31, 2006 09:33 AM
I put in an Asparagus bed last year, I tilled deep and added 8 bags of leaves, and several trash bags of Cow manure. I then dug the 3 rows about a shovel spade deep, added bonemeal and more cow manure to the bottom of the rows.

I planted 30 plants and at the end of the middle the plants didn't make it. I am not sure what happened, but I think I know. When we moved in there was an old car parked there, and it was removed shortly after we moved in. I think maybe the antifreeze was drained there. But anyway, I replanted part of that row, and so far all but 1 plant is growing.

I added more cow manure and some 27-13-13 this spring and watered it in. I also have it mulched with woodchips, so I don't have to weed as often.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Mike_P on March 31, 2006 10:02 PM
Well, tilled it last night, added manure, tilled again, then replanted the roots that were pulled up, should be interesting to see what makes it, my wife is ordering a new offering of 25 plants. Nearby farm lets us have manure, nothing the like real stuff, been seasoning all winter. Will get about 2 full yards this weekend or next to top dress the asparagus patch, and spread over the garden, till it in real good. It has been nice and dry this March here in NE Ohio, I have an excellent start to the growing season. Usually everything is soaking wet this time of year. Thanks for the help! Mike
by dodge on April 01, 2006 08:40 PM
[Mad]
YOUR 100% WRONG ON THE SPRAY AND TILL....
YOU PUT ROUNDUP ON TO KILL, AND THE SUN MUST TAKE OVER AND TURN THEM BROWN AND THEY FALL TO THE GROUND DEAD.......AFTER THIS ALL HAPPENS, YOU CAN TILL..........
YOUR JUST BURYING YOUR MONEY.

LIFE TIME FARMER HERE TALKING..

DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: asparagus| Next thread: asparagus beetles »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: