The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mucho weed seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: MUCH NEEDED ADVICE| Next thread: mudslides.... »
Back to Thread index
by Sarah11 on April 06, 2004 10:46 PM
I'd like to plant grass in a currently mulched area that had lots of weeds last fall wich were left to go to seed when my husband and I were busy with our new baby. Weeds were dandelions, prickers, clover, and who knows what else. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent these weed seeds from dominating while I try to grow grass?
by Jiffymouse on April 07, 2004 01:17 AM
[wayey] hi sarah [wayey] i don't have your answer, but wanted to say hi [wayey] and we're glad you joined us [thumb]
by The Plant Doc on April 07, 2004 02:02 PM
The best way to keep weeds out of an area you are trying to seed is to seed it in the early fall. This will reduce the amount of weed growth, and allow the lawn to thicken up to guard against them come next season. If waiting is not an option. After your seed germinates and has been growing for at least 8 weeks, you can use an over the top selective weed spray such as Weed Be Gone or the like. But using it any sooner stands the chance of hurting the new lawn. Follow the directions on the lable, and it will not hurt the lawn.

Hope this helps

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Sarah11 on May 06, 2004 08:47 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure if I'll wait that long. We plan to cover the area with weed barrier for a few weeks to smother the weeds, then plant grass - so maybe we'll cover it all summer?? [dunno] Not sure, but thanks again.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: MUCH NEEDED ADVICE| Next thread: mudslides.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: