The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chemical/pesticide use. Its own thread.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by The Plant Doc on March 29, 2004 03:06 AM
I hate it when topics go off on a tangent, so I figured I would start its own thread.

Phil
You last message left me wondering what pesticides had you used that left your garden lifeless.
As far as using organic or bio type alternatives go. Unfortunately in my line of work, and very often in this forum questions are asked after the problem already exists. While other measures of IMP may often work in a preventative basis, they usually are not good for curing problems. At least not quickly enough to ensure that no more damage is done. So a lot of the time chemical solutions are the only feasible answer to an existing problem.

There are not too many alternatives for the control of crabgrass that actually work worth a darn. About the only thing that I can think of is not tilling the soil in the springtime, and that in it self can make gardening kinda difficult.

As far as that other thread went, the one about the ants in the UK;

I am not sure where you are getting your info about SEVIN being that toxic, it differs with with the information that I have.

As far as I know Sevin has a higher LD50 then your standard pyrethrums which are an "organic" compound.
Since the question is dealing with ants none of your newer, and much safer systemic insecticides would have any affect what so ever.

I suppose I could have suggested using Malithion, (which would have had a bit higher of an LD50) but I don't think organophosphates are being used in Europe.
Other then the use of chemicals, I know of no alternatives to control ants in a lawn situation. With the exception of maybe borrowing a couple of aardvarks from the local zoo, and then you would have to put up with their burrows. [Wink]

Personally I think the whole idea behind having a message forum is for someone to be able to get different ideas from different perspectives, the person can choose which ideas they happen to like and work with them.

Like I mentioned before the differences of opinions are what make the world interesting. However I truly have to hope that I am not going to be challenged every time I suggest using a pesticide. Instead of doing that, possibly offering an alternative idea may prove to be a bit more useful.

By the way, what part of Minn. are you from? I myself am just over the river in the Lacrosse area.

Take care

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Phil and Laura on March 29, 2004 11:38 PM
quote:
Personally I think the whole idea behind having a message forum is for someone to be able to get different ideas from different perspectives, the person can choose which ideas they happen to like and work with them.
And again we agree! [thumb] I think that we Should continue on with this thread, present our facts, and This will permit others to make informed decisions. This is an excellent way for US BOTH to learn also.Carbaryl is extremely toxic to aquatic invertebrates and certain estuarine organisms. It is extremely toxic to honeybees, Most birds are exposed by ingestion, such as mistaking a pesticide granule for a seed or by consuming contaminated prey, So this plus the Microbial damage caused by insecticides and herbicides, is the reson for my Lifeless Garden comment. Yes the "dermal" ld50 IS higher for Sevin than pyrethrums; however the oral level is much lower.
Chart
chart
And on the issue of how accurate the Testing is :
Criteria for Toxin Levels
Mike this is all GOOD, the more info we post in a POINT/Counter POINT manner, the better for all here, and I encourage everyone to Get involved here, and ask questions, There is much to be learned. Mike I hope we can continue in a diplomatic fashion, As far as Where in Mn., I live in the country, west of Kenyon. I believe my email is enabled here, If not : wwd479@netscape.net
Please identify yourself in the subject line so I will open. [wayey]
by Buglady on March 30, 2004 01:26 AM
What kind of ants are we talking about here?

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by The Plant Doc on March 30, 2004 05:42 PM
I don't know it was in reference to another post "Ant nests in lawns"

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Buglady on March 30, 2004 05:46 PM
Hmm... well it can make a differance in treatment.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: