The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Carpetgrass Seed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Carpenter Bees!| Next thread: Carrion Cactus »
Back to Thread index
by Judith on March 16, 2004 03:57 AM
We have an area that stays wet during times of heavy rain here in NW Florida. We don't have much grass, most of it is naturalized. But we try to fit in the neighborhood with at least a little grass.

If it were somewhere else on the lot, I could use groundcover. But it's right in front of our front door, a walkway. And it looks great with grass.

We have some St. Augustine in other areas that is doing great, but won't survive being drowned at times. I have read that carpetgrass is better adapted to surviving occasional soaking, so have been looking to buy seed.

Every supplier claims to have it right now, but when you check, they say "sold out." I don't know if it's that good and there has been a run on it, or it's so bad that no one wants it! But I'd like to at least try it.

If you know of a source that actually has it in stock right now, I would appreciate your passing contact info to me, as we really need to get this planted as soon as possible.

Gravel is hard to walk on for me, plus it retains the sun's heat, which is just what we don't need here.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Judith [kitty] [kitty] :
by Judith on March 24, 2004 05:23 AM
Well, I found out why I haven't been able to buy carpetgrass seed. According to a major grass seed supplier, this product is grown in Australia, and their last crop failed. Anticipate new supply in July/August.

I guess no one else uses it. There's probably a reason. But I still want to try it for our wet area before going to groundcovers.

Judith [lala]
by Jiffymouse on March 24, 2004 05:51 PM
hey judith, i've heard of it, seen it grown in pensacola, but couldn't begin to tell you about a decent supplier. good luck and let me know how it goes for you!
by Jiffymouse on March 24, 2004 05:56 PM
hey judith, i've heard of carpet grass, even seen it growing when i was a kid in pensacola, but couldn't begin to tell you of a good source. keep us posted ok?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Carpenter Bees!| Next thread: Carrion Cactus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: