The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Classroom veggie garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: CJ's CC Drink| Next thread: clay »
Back to Thread index
by Ashtrey on March 19, 2006 03:56 AM
Hello all,

I am a newbie and I had a few questions.

First off, I have NEVER planted ANYTHING in my entire life.

On to my question, I am a student teacher and I am going to be in a kindergarten class this coming spring quater (April) I had the bright idea of doing my theme/unit as garden or plants.

I would LOVE to be able to plant a vegetable garden as the final project. Maybe we could make a class salad or something.....I dunno know.

But anyways, can you guys offer some advice on what I need to do to successfully plant a veggie garden, and suggestions on the veggies to plant.....ANYTHING would be great.

By the way, I live in SouthEastern Ohio....I don't have any idea what Zone I live in.

Thanks so much.

Ashley
BTW - Is it possible to plant any veggies in containers....I still have to run the garden idea to the teacher....I don't think it will be a problem...just askin'

Thanks again.
Ash
by weezie13 on March 19, 2006 04:12 AM
Hi Ashtrey....
Welcome, first if you do a Google Search at the top of the board/page here, and type in kids gardening, you may find some previous posts..

Also, one of the most forgiving and first seeds to plant for a child is a Marigold, they are veryyy easy to start, and very kid friendly, with actually almost starting to sprout right on top of the soil practically..

Argeratiums are a nice plant, and if they are repotting, they can't plant it too deep cause the stem will root all along the whole thing, so if they do get it too deep, it'll still survive....

Radishes are one of the FASTEST to sprout and produce a product.. they can almost stand there and watch it grow....

*temporarily pressed for time, right now,
but I'll be back to offer some more info..
and I"m sure you'll get a bunch more of responses..... [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Ashtrey on March 19, 2006 04:38 AM
Thanks so much weezie....I am off to Google kids gardening.

Thanks again.
Ash
by netty on March 19, 2006 05:47 AM
My kids always grew beans in kindergarden. They "planted" them in clear cups that had wet paper towel so they could see them growing. When they finally brought them home they would plant them in the garden with the others.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 19, 2006 06:50 AM
I always thought when they came home from school with the flower/plant in their washed out milk cartons from lunch was sooooooooooo cute....
And their faces are soooo proud.... [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by markr on March 19, 2006 08:01 AM
one thing my kids liked to grow was cress!
its so simple, nearly fool proof.
all you have to do is scatter some seeds on top of moist paper towel and keep damp.

-
Mark

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: CJ's CC Drink| Next thread: clay »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: