The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

soil and pot for Meyer Lemon

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: soil amendments| Next thread: Soil blunder....too sandy »
Back to Thread index
by pecman77 on March 17, 2006 09:04 AM
I am going to get a Meyer Lemon tree but I am confused [scaredy] on the best soil mixture (I hear that soil is key) and type and size of pot I should use. Please give me some ideas that worked for you. Thanks for any help.
by Deborah L. on March 17, 2006 12:29 PM
I have a Meyer lemon in a 24 inch pot and it does beautifully well. Loads of lemons.
I was told by a master gardener to use ONLY cactus mix potting soil as it drains fast. Lemon trees don't like wet feet.
A Meyer can spend its entire life in a 24 inch pot.
He must be right because my tree is the talk and envy of the neighbors !
I do feed mine a bit more often than is recommended for trees planted in the ground.
I wish you the same happiness and success I have with my Meyer lemon tree !

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 17, 2006 12:31 PM
Oops, you asked about types of pots. Mine is a 24 inch plastic pot that looks like terracotta.
The thick, heavy plastic is best.

-
 -
by Eco on March 17, 2006 05:16 PM
I suggest a mix using coconut husk chips (CHCs). They were intentionaly for orchids, but experiments conducted by some citrus proffesionals has proved it's great for them to!

CHCs drain super fast. Yes, although they don't like wet feet, they like their water. CHCs absorb up to 7 times their weight in water. Just waited all winter for spring to repot and make the swith for mine, they are loving it!!!

(I have a mix of mostly CHCs, sand, and normal potting mix, in decreasing quantities).

For the pot, it all depends on the size plant you get....as for made out of what, I have a meyer in the black plastic pot from the nursery and my calamondin in a terra cotta pot. Both are great. I water the Cal more often cause of the terra cotta pot though, and of course it's heavier, something to keep in mind if you will be moving it in and out alot if it's a bigger plant then mine (2' tall, 1' wide).

: )

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: soil amendments| Next thread: Soil blunder....too sandy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: