The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lemon tree leaves as tea?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: lemon tree| Next thread: lemon trees »
Back to Thread index
by Aubrey on December 20, 2005 03:02 AM
Hi! I'm new here and I hope I am posting this topic under the right forum section but here it goes.....

My mother just informed me about a tea her mother used to make out ot orange tree leaves and lemon tree leaves. I couldn't believe that after 30 years of living in the same house with a beautiful lemon tree and orange tree, that this would be the first time she would let me in on this little gem of info! So I immediately picked picked, cleaned and brewed up some lemon tree leaves. It was such a beautiful aroma and taste! I would really love to know if it has any medicinal properties and if people actually drink this tea (for all I know it could be deadly, hehe!). I have been all over the web trying to locate some info on this, but all I get is "lemon balm", "lemon grass", "lemon tyme" no stuff on actual leaves from the lemon tree!

I'm really hoping that someone here can help me out on this. Does anyone know anything about this?

valerie m
by comfrey on December 20, 2005 03:30 AM
Valerie...I am one of many herbalist here on the forum, And I am not sure of the answer on this, I will try to do some checking and if I find anything I will post it here.

-
 -
by comfrey on December 20, 2005 04:27 AM
I am still not sure, and if you aren't sure either then I would NOT consume it. I didn't find anything about lemon, but did find something about orange trees....The only part used is of course the fruit and the flowers can be using in teas. So if it was me, I wouldn't drink it, even if my mother said it was alright....Mother's are not always right, besides alot people drink different teas or did which are now considered unsafe, they grew up drinking these things and it didn't harm them as far as they know, but with anything long term use can produce all kinds of dreadful things to take place in ones body. So please use caution.

-
 -
by Aubrey on December 20, 2005 04:36 AM
Oh my! That's a scary warning!! Thanks so much for helping me. I do hope that we can find that it's not poisonous because, like I had mentioned before, the brewed lemon leaves had a beautiful flavor along with the aroma!

valerie m
by comfrey on December 25, 2005 10:44 AM
Valerie...I finally recieved information about orange & lemon leaves...They are not toxic and lemon leaves have been used as tea...so Sorry about the panic I might have caused, but it better to be safe then sorry until you prove one way or another...Hope this helps...Send me some leaves so I can try LOL

-
 -
by papito on December 25, 2005 11:13 AM
We also use citrus leaves for flavoring and tea.

See below for additional info.

Leaves - Citrus leaves are useful as well. They may be used to make a leaf tea or added to the pot when brewing regular tea. Lemon leaves are especially good for this kind of tea. Only the older, dark-green leaves should be used. Tear them into boiling water. They contain minerals that the body needs. If added to warm milk, crushed citrus leaves can make a nutritious drink for children.

Citrus leaf tea is good to drink in the evening because it contains no caffeine, which is found in tea and coffee. Caffeine can keep you from sleeping well.

To make lemon leaf tea:

1. Crush 10 lemon leaves into 6 cups of boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes. Cool for a few minutes.

2. Remove leaves and add 1½ cups milk, if desired, to the warm lemon tea and serve.

Source:
Community Health Services
(Nutrition Programme)
South Pacific Commission.
98848 Noumea Cedex
New Caledonia

and/or

Agriculture Library South
Pacific Commission
Private Mail Bag
Suva
Fiji.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Aubrey on January 03, 2006 03:56 AM
Wow!!!I am sooo glad to know that not only has it been used, but it is nutritionally valuable as well. Do you have any idea what the nutritional content is, papito?

Comfrey, do you really have no access to lemon leaves where you live? I would be happy to send you some if you would really like me to. I wonder if the best way to ship them would be to dehydrate them first. I have a dehydrator, what do you think??? Let me know....

valerie m

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: lemon tree| Next thread: lemon trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: