The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Does mint get rid of bugs?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Does anyone remember?| Next thread: Does Poison Oak Bloom? »
Back to Thread index
by Celena0056 on August 16, 2005 05:55 AM
I have a mint plant that alll of the sudden strted growing really fast. I put it by someplants in the kitchen and no bugs anywhere. Will mint get rid of bugs? or was it just time for them to die?
~Celena
by MaryReboakly on August 16, 2005 08:39 AM
Hi Celena. I've read that mint is supposed to deter ants, but it sure didn't work for me. I have ants going up my foundation into the siding under my kitchen, so I moved some mint under the bush that's growing there. Well, the ants just moved around it instead [Frown] I hope it's working for you though! [thumb]

-
 -
by Celena0056 on August 16, 2005 11:36 AM
It is thank you... i hope you can find something to help you. I have heard if you have a bunch of different kinds of herbs, it will get rid of most bugs. I don't know what kind but you should look into it if it gets too bad.
Hope that helps.
~Celena
by Celena0056 on August 16, 2005 11:05 PM
Wait, I just thought of something, maybe you should plant it all over the vulnerable spot and see if that will get rid of them. Also, while I was bored one time, I searched the site and looked to see what I could find on helpful hints. It has a million uses for vinegar(not really, but you get the idea). One was used to get rid of ants. I hope that helps!
~Celena
by MaryReboakly on August 17, 2005 03:30 AM
Thanks so much celena - seems I've tried just about everything, though I don't have mint planted around the entire perimiter of the house. I think what troubles me more is wondering what it is they're after under the siding, rather than the idea that they're getting in there. They're not turning up in the kitchen, for the most part...so I have to wonder what's going on in there [dunno]

-
 -
by Celena0056 on August 18, 2005 12:35 AM
Ya, that doesn't sound good. Try the vinegar thing and let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work let me know and I'll tell you some more of my ideas that have worked for me.
by Jimmy_Hitler on August 19, 2005 04:33 PM
ANT TRAPS will get the job done [Razz] that or just stepping on them
by ninniwinky on August 19, 2005 08:00 PM
Mary get that ant thing taken care of, Are they big black ants? we had them and they are carpenter aunts, the wreak havoc! they were going under our shingles and eating the wood from out house. The pest people came and the whole, or maze they had burrowed was over 1/4 mile long!

Good luck,

ninni
by MaryReboakly on August 20, 2005 02:00 AM
Hmm no, they're not carpenter ants. I checked that out right off. They're too small. They look like just regular sugar ants. Some come into the kitchen, but most don't. So, I stopped being so upset, but still kinda upset - just the idea of not knowing they're doing - being destructive or what... I noticed they're moving white things IN now - before they were carrying the white stuff off...now they're carrying it in - I wonder if they've got a nest in the walls? Or it could be under the house, I guess. May be they're going up and over the cinder block foundation through some cracks in the wood. Our house is oooooooold built in the late 1800s, and is built with the timbers (almost like rr ties) going horizontally. Solid wood througout. Great for insulation but not so great when you're terrified of termites and carpenter ants! [Big Grin]

I haven't tried the vinegar yet - been really really busy with the business, but will get out there over the next few days and splash them up with it, and then watch and see what happens.

Thanks y'all...I'll keep ya posted!

-
 -
by BigJimSlade on August 20, 2005 12:10 PM
I had an basil plant covered in mealybugs. I guess they like that one. [Frown]
by boxmonkey on August 21, 2005 02:53 PM
Who doesn't like basil?

Custom Weathervanes - hand made
by Jimmy_Hitler on August 25, 2005 02:47 AM
basil haters
by princessazlea on August 25, 2005 06:59 AM
Hi Mary I have had ants, and still have. I got some fast ant bait from America. don't know if you have heard of it. One minute I have them in the house and then I don't see them for 6months.
The thing is I don't know where the nest is, anyway this ant bait they take it to the queen and it surposed to kill the colony. I have seen dead carcasses of ants when this ant bait is down.
But I still keep finding the odd ant crawling in different parts of the house. [wayey]

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Does anyone remember?| Next thread: Does Poison Oak Bloom? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: