The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

gardenia disease

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: gardenia disease| Next thread: gardenia dwarf »
Back to Thread index
by Kenhorng on October 26, 2004 11:07 AM
My gardenia has white sticky growth on leaves and new stalks that can be wiped off. What is it? what can I do to get rid of it? Eversince the white growth appears, there has not been any flower buds.

Thanks
by catlover on October 26, 2004 12:18 PM
Welcome to The Garden Helper Kenhorng [wayey]

I don't know the answer to your question. I am moving your post to Plant pests and
problems where people who specialize in this area frequent.

Catlover Karen [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by Longy on October 30, 2004 10:19 AM
G'day Kenhorng, my first thought was that it was mealy bug. A sapsucking insect that hangs in clusters along branches and onto leaves. Check if that's the case, you'll be able to see individual bugs if you look closely.
From your description though it may be a fungus.
If that's the case a spray with a copper based fungicide 3 times 7 days apart may do the trick. If neither of these are likely some more information regarding the problem may help to get further replies. Strewth, i don't even know if you have mealybug in Vancouver.
by Buglady on November 01, 2004 06:40 AM
I would go with sucking insect problem like mealybug or scale. Most fungus that attack gardenias look black, forming circler spots on the leaves.

For mealybug / scale you can treat with a 1% soap OR horticultural oil solution. They are finicky and may drop their buds but will recover.

Don't forget to feed with acid plant food.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: gardenia disease| Next thread: gardenia dwarf »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: