The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sage

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Sage| Next thread: Sage »
Back to Thread index
by JustAGirl on July 14, 2005 06:57 AM
Have had this sage for a little over a year if I can recall correctly. I've never had sage before and dont even know what kind it is and am now wondering is my plant suppose to look like this. I just read something that I should cut off the flowers before or at blooming then cut the top of the stem off. I dunno someone help me!

-

-

-
by RugbyHukr on July 14, 2005 09:56 AM
You can cut them back at a leaf joint which will encourage bushiness. The trick is to learn about your plants & then manipulate them if they grow differently than you would like.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by toot1 on July 14, 2005 10:27 AM
My sage never looked like this. Is it getting enough sun? It likes a lot. Cut that flower head back. Don't trim the whole plant at once-too much shock, I think. But work on getting it shorter and bushier. I grew mine in pretty poor soil, but I think it appreciates a nice soil. Not too much water.
by JustAGirl on July 14, 2005 11:55 PM
RugbyHukr and toot1 Thanks for the response. I'd like to learn about my sage..I'm just not sure what kind of sage it is. It's getting full sun. I guess it got so tall cause I'm not really sure how to cut it back. I'm sure had I known it would have been full and bushy by now with all the rain we got this year. Live and Learn I guess. Thanks again. [grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sage| Next thread: Sage »
Back to Thread index