The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

1st fruit spraying

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by obywan59 on March 08, 2006 04:11 AM
I just finished my dormant oil spraying for the year. I didn't even bother ordering any Oil-Away from Gardens Alive this year. I just made my own spray from some used canola oil I had been saving. It took 8 gallons of spray to do everything, although, I had a little left over, so I sprayed 2 of my crabaples and all three of my japanese maples.

Here's the recipe I used:

1 c. oil
2 tbsp. liquid soap (I used Ajax dish soap)
1 gallon water

I mixed the oil with the soap before I added the water.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by peppereater on March 08, 2006 11:00 AM
Terry...the only thing I'd worry about is phytotoxicity...sensitivity to sunlight. Missive, or dormant oils, are very fine oils...A lot depends on the temps in your area. It's been too hot here lately to spray even dormant oils! (Lots of 80's in Feb.! Crazy! [nutz] )

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by obywan59 on March 08, 2006 12:38 PM
I've sprayed a similar mix to this before with no problems, and the temps here were in the low to mid 40s.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by DeepCreekLake on March 11, 2006 07:54 PM
I used the Bonide Dormant Oil mix, cost about 6 bucks for a concentrate bottle, was more than enough to spray all my fruit trees. Hopefully it will make a difference, from what I read it the most important of sprays for fruit trees- for pest control. It did coat the trees nicely. Things went from cold to warm fast here, figured Id use the warm spell to get it done before the peaches, pears, apples, and necterines go to bloom!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: