The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ivy Problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Swing-Your-Pants on October 03, 2004 09:09 PM
Hi all,

I've recently removed an Ivy that was taking over the side of my house. It's all been removed with the exception of the bits that it gripped to the Render with. I've tried to remove it with a wire brush etc but its taking forever [Frown] I'd be very grateful for any ideas ?

Many thanks [thumb]
by suzydaze on October 04, 2004 05:22 AM
try a high power pressure washer.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Swing-Your-Pants on October 04, 2004 11:24 AM
Many thanks but I've tried that. I was wondering if there was a product I could buy to loosen the stuff (like a brick acid) then use the pressure washer ? Many thanks - Des
by weezie13 on October 04, 2004 05:46 PM
Swing-Your-Pants,
Hi, I don't really have a reply for you, but I just wanted to tell you Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum, and really wanted to know
where you got your name from!!! LOVE IT!!!

And we also have a few members from over the pond, very, very nice people and hope you stick around and join our great cyber community here.
There's Jogger, and Heuchera aka Seedaholic and our own Forum Hostess, Loz, is a transplant from over there, there's Limey in Canada and a bunch more!!!

Weezie

P.S. What does this mean? Not firmiliar with the one word????
quote:
It's all been removed with the exception of the bits that it gripped to the "Render" with.
Is that like the siding on a house where the roots attached them selves????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Swing-Your-Pants on October 04, 2004 09:00 PM
Hi & sincere thanks for the warm welcome.
The name Swing Your Pants comes from a Kiddies Saturday morning TV show in the eighties where these two guys used to sing a song "Swing Your Pants" with the obvious movements [Smile] I use the name all the time and it always makes me smile.

As for "Render" its like a painted concrete on the side of my house i.e. my house is half brick & half render.

Best regards - Des (Swing-Your-Pants)
by Swing-Your-Pants on October 06, 2004 11:14 AM
Hi all,

Looks like there is no easy fix. Bottom line is I've just spent the last two days rubbing down the wall and will paint it with a textured paint. Damm hard work [Mad] Never again..........
by weezie13 on October 06, 2004 04:28 PM
I have heard on many gardening shows that the
"experts" on the shows say it's not a good choice to let the plants/Ivy climb up the exterior walls of people's house's....
Where it eats away the concrete or rips away siding or it rots away wood sidings...

They've suggested if the people still like the look of the ivy growing, to put up lattice work, several inches away (with supports) to have the ivy climb the lattice and stay away from the outter walls...
And if ever needed, you can pull the lattice flat away, do work on the house and put it back up without too much damage..

But thanks for the updates, [critic]
Good or bad we learn [teacher] from all adventures and you may help others that come acrossed this post in the future..

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum