The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Harvested the coriander/cilantro

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Harvested some of the green onions| Next thread: harvesting? »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on June 17, 2005 07:02 PM
Now all I can do is hope I am more successful with drying than I have been in the past. Crossing my fingers lol. I must say it has a very citrus type smell that I never noticed from the spice I bought from the store. I'm going to have to think how I might be able to use that. It may be very good with pork. Ah well I'll think on it right after I take my nap. I just fixed myself a cup of black coffee (yuck). I drink it with cream and sugar. So I know I'm getting alittle tired.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on June 18, 2005 06:36 AM
Hi Tk! [wayey]
Cilantro is a great garnish for mexican food. I use it for fresh salsa and canning salsa. I've never dried it. I eat it fresh with salads, fish...chicken....etc. It's best matched with a little lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. It makes a great dressing for salads or marinades for any meat really but I prefer it with chicken. You can rough chop it and freeze it in a good air tight ziplock or container. This holds the flavor better than drying it would. Take care!! [muggs]
Christina

-
 -
by tkhooper on June 18, 2005 07:44 AM
Thanks Crhistina. I usually just have the seeds for corned beef. So this will be new for me.

-
 -
by MaryReboakly on June 18, 2005 08:07 AM
Congrats, T! Isn't it a liberating feeling, growing your own edibles? I was psyched when our raspberries came up!

-
 -
by Mothman on June 27, 2005 10:00 PM
For you folks that want a "cilantro" that does not bolt like the regular, try Culantro or long leaf cilantro also known as Mexican cilantro or Reaco. It has spiney leaves and a more intense flavor than the common cilantro. Reseeds readily - I've had mine come back for four years now. Doesn't like wet feet. I plant in a wide clay pot. Enjoy!
by PAR_Gardener on July 02, 2005 12:06 AM
Fresh cilantro is also used a lot in asian cooking. You can use it as a garnish for soups. Put some cilantro, sliced ginger, garlic and green onions, some olive and sesame oil, soy sauce, and salt , pepper and sugar on fish. Steam the fish in the marinade until done. It is very nice. I've also seen it used in spring rolls (not fried egg rolls). Just some ideas.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by tkhooper on July 02, 2005 12:49 AM
Oh that sounds like a delicious way to do white fish. I left some on the vine to re-seed and I hope it does. I would definitely like to try that. Believe it or not I didn't even harvest the cilantro this year because I was all about the coriander for my corned beef. Well I'll know better next year.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Harvested some of the green onions| Next thread: harvesting? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: