The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pinching back herbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Pinching| Next thread: pinching back mint »
Back to Thread index
by GiraffeMSW on May 15, 2005 04:34 AM
I see many suggestions to pinch back herbs...not being a seasoned gardener, this is a pretty scary notion.

I have noticed in the last week or so, my sage and sweet basil starting to look 'leggy' and I guess this is because I haven't pinched them back.

So, now I have sage that is about a foot tall, leaves start at about the 5 inch high mark, but there are only a few leaves between the 5-8 inch area of the plant, and then the head.

The basil is shorter, but I see a similar pattern starting.

How far back can I pinch the plants and not kill them? How many leaves should remain on them so they can still soak up the sun?

And, my final question for now, can I use Miracle Grow on them?

Thanks in advance. [flower]

The higher the point of view, the broader the horizon...said the giraffe.
by tkhooper on May 15, 2005 11:40 AM
Hi I've never grown sage but I have sweet basil. The pinching back is just taking the two top leaves and pinching them off. that way 4 leaves grow out of that spot and it gets bushier. Then as it develops branches do the same thing to the end set of leaves on those. My basil got 2 feet tall and about 3 feet wide and I was able to harvest 6 inch pieces without a problem.
by SN on May 15, 2005 04:16 PM
TK,

You are right, that principle will work for many herbs. I snip mine.

[thumb]

You can use the MG.

HTH

[Love]

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

by GiraffeMSW on May 15, 2005 07:09 PM
So is it already too late to control the leggy-ness? If I just pinch back the 2 leaves and 4 leaves grow in its place, there will still be a long, mostly barren, stem. [Eek!]

The higher the point of view, the broader the horizon...said the giraffe.
by SN on May 15, 2005 07:11 PM
You could do what I do when I let my dill get too long, let it go to seed...

Or are there lower areas that have a lot of leaves? You can cut the leggy parts all the way down to where the leaves are full.

HTH

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pinching| Next thread: pinching back mint »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: