The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

yummy mints :-)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: yummy easy fudge| Next thread: YUMMY salmon burgers! »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on May 05, 2005 02:57 PM
Even though it's still really cold here (it has been only 30F every morning at 7a.m. when my daughter leaves for school this past week), and has been running 10-15 degrees below normal, I couldn't hold back anymore and yesterday I bought some delicious mints - Apple mint, Pineapple mint, and Pineapple sage which I understand is in the mint family. There was such a great selection of other flavors that it was really difficult to not get one of each - especially while they are in that "not picked over" stage and nice and fresh looking. (You know I'm going to have to go back there soon!)

The only one I've grown before is the Pineapple sage, and this I grew in a small pot on my deck hoping to have the red flowers for my hummingbirds. Only problem is that I only got a few small blooms, and way after the hummers left for the season. This year I'm thinking of planting it in the ground so it can grow larger.

Anyone have any experiences with these plants?
Recipes?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by phoenix on May 05, 2005 05:22 PM
[wayey] PLANTS N POTS,
I HAVE GROWN SOME "MINTS" SINCE I WAS ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD (i think it was the first plant i had)
I WOULD PUT THEM IN THE GROUND BUT BE WARNED THEY ARE VERY INVASIVE THEY WILL GROW AND GROW AND GROW. THEY WILL ALSO TRY TO TAKE OVER YOUR GARDEN/YARD [shocked] IT HAPPEND TO ME I PLANTED SOME IN AN OLD STONE FIRE PLACE THAT WAS IN MY OLD YARD AND BY THE NEXT YEAR IT TRIPPLED THE AREA I HAD ORIGINALLY PLANTED IT IN. [Wink] GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE IT BLOOMS FOR YOUR HUMMERS [thumb]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by 4Ruddy on May 05, 2005 09:26 PM
Apple mint...pineapple mint...WOW, never heard of them...now I am going to be on a mission to try to find some! I have heard of the pineapple sage but haven't seen any. Where did you find them...at a private nursery or some kind of "chain"...I want some bad now!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by plants 'n pots on May 05, 2005 11:44 PM
Vanessa ~

I got them at a local indoor farmers market. It's a pretty pricey place, and I usually don't buy plants there, but their produce is very good, and I do like to wander around the greenhouse - especially in the winter - it's my therapy, ya know?

They had all kinds of different mints - lemon, lime, the regulars - spearmint, etc, I was very lucky - they had just taken the plants off a truck and were putting them on the stand when I got there. As I said before, I was the first one to see them so they weren't picked over with all kinds of broken stems, etc - yea! [thumb]

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 05, 2005 11:55 PM
Keep your eye out for chocolate mint. the smell is heavenly.

Mint indoors where I have it likes to stay moist, not wet but moist.

-
 -
by Gardencrazy on May 06, 2005 12:22 AM
Great plants! Mint is invasive. It will find its way everhwheres. I don't have a problem with it running rampant though. It is actually soothing to be weeding a bed and smell all the mints when you brush up against them. I just picked up blackberry mint. Pineapple mint also comes variegated. There seem to thousands of scents. I saw one the other day called banana mint. It smelled so good.
Gardencrazy [flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by plants 'n pots on May 06, 2005 12:43 AM
I have grown chocolate mint the past 2 summers, but in small pots and they did not overwinter - waaah. You are right - it smells incredible - especially since that is my alltime favorite flavor- ice cream, etc - love it, love it, love it!!!

Maybe I'll try some in the ground this year and see if it overwinters. The farm did not have this particular mint - I was surprised.

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 06, 2005 02:05 AM
Any ideas why it didn't over winter?

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 06, 2005 02:20 AM
Probably because they were still in their 4 inch pots? [nutz] Next time I'll give them lots more room to grow! [thumb]

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 06, 2005 05:31 AM
BANANA MINT...oh i would die for that! Ibet it would be my favorite...that banana smell is like a little taste of heaven. I buy banana popcicles and heve the entire box eaten before I get home...so, we started getting the whopper size box..so a few..but only a few make it home!

-
 -

by plants 'n pots on May 06, 2005 02:33 PM
[lala] Oooooh, Vanessa... [wayey]

Lookie what I found!!! [thumb]

click here...

BANANA MINT! [Cool] [grin] [perplexed]

AND... lookie what else they have... YUMMMMMY!!!

-

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 06, 2005 03:53 PM
Whaaaaaaaaa they have the chocolate mint but way to expensive for the minimum order. Am going to pout now. [tears]

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 06, 2005 09:04 PM
OMGoodness Lynne...have you ever made that BREAD. And don't you just love that wheel barrel! I'm gonna HAVE to do that! I have a friend that I think will make me one of those...AND THEN I'M GONNA PLANT BANANA MINT!!!!
Thanks a bunch for that...just made my day!!!! [flower]

-
 -

by plants 'n pots on May 06, 2005 11:27 PM
Vanessa - I've not made that bread yet - just saw the recipe today, and thought you'd like it!

And guess what? Went to another farm nursery today - they had wonderful herbs - with the same mints I got the other day... BUT... they had my CHOCOLATE MINT!!! And it was much cheaper than the place I bought the other mints, which I thought was a good deal at the time. Any 4" pots today were $2.99 each, or 4 for $10, which comes to $2.50 a piece!!! The other place was $3.99 a pot, or 3 for $10. I almost bought the same mints that I got the other day again, because it was such a good price, but I actually was able to get ahold of myself and not do it!

No banana mint though. Too bad!

TK - when the chocolate mint grows a bit, I'll be happy to send you some cuttings if you like.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 06, 2005 11:31 PM
Gardencrazy - wow! Blackberry mint - never saw or heard of that one! Bet it's wonderful!

Most of the places here have orange mint, but I don't find the scent to be very orangey.

I do know how invasive mint can be, but for some reason, mine never has been - as a matter of fact, the only mint that keeps returning for me has been catmint so far - weird...

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 07, 2005 12:09 AM
Look at these different mints I just found online!

Marshmallow mint??? What will they think of next?!?

"The Westerfield Mints (Mentha spp.) Richters is pleased to offer these remarkable mints created by Jim Westerfield. Jim is an innkeeper extraordinaire with a passion for herbs and for cross breeding new varieties of mints. His first big splash was 'Hillary's Sweet Lemon Mint' introduced in 1995. Jim and his wife Marilyn run an award-winning American bed-and-breakfast inn called "Westerfield House" in Freeburg, Illinois (near St. Louis), reknowned for its gourmet luncheon and dinner events held throughout the year.

Berries & Cream™ Mint
Marilyn's Salad Mint™ Mint
Candy Lime™ Mint
Marshmallow™ Mint
Pink Candypops™ Mint
Millenium™ Mint
Hillary's Sweet Lemon Mint
Oregano-Thyme™ Mint
Julia's Sweet Citrus™ Mint
Sweet Bay™ Mint
Margarita™ Mint
Sweet Pear™ Mint "

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 07, 2005 03:23 AM
Lynne, are you planting your mint deep? That may be the problem. I have moved mine, mowed it down...you name it...it just comes back up and waves at me! But, I moved it last year and the spot is not as sunny and it isn't growing as well.
I think I have found a wheel barrell.......so I am going to order some BANANA MINT! Hubby is even excited (he knows he will get some of that BREAD) [flower]

-
 -

by plants 'n pots on May 07, 2005 03:36 AM
Guess what Vanessa and TK?

After I bought my new chocolate mint this afternoon, I later found my patch from last year - it is coming up very nicely! LOL! I had forgotten that I put it under my 2nd story deck stairs - a place I put baby plants to nurture them along til they can go out in full sun on their own. I now remember that the small pot it was growing in got really ratty looking at the end of summer, so I quickly put it in the soil in this area before the weather turned cold. When I saw something coming up there this year, I had no recollection as to what it could be [nutz] ... until today, when it has grown more and was definitely the mint - even smells like it already.

I'm so excited that you will be able to get some banana mint Vanessa - please let me know if it really smells like bananas!

And, in a short while, I should have plenty of chocolate mint to share if either of you would like me to send some cuttings. [thumb]

Enjoy!

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 07, 2005 06:02 AM
MARSHMALLO MINT...MARGERITA MINT

I'm going mint crazy!
Just call me ......Manessa Mint! [Big Grin]
This is a hoot!

Now I'm gonna HAVE to know if the marshmallow mint really smells like marshmallows!!!! Lunne...would you PLEASE stop finding this stuff...it is making me CRAZY!! [nutz]

-
 -

by tkhooper on May 07, 2005 06:08 AM
I would love some chocolate mint cuttings. But I wouldn't know what to do with them. Can you tell me? I have a very black thumb.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 07, 2005 05:52 PM
quote:
MARSHMALLO MINT...MARGERITA MINT

I'm going mint crazy!
Just call me ......Manessa Mint!
This is a hoot!

Now I'm gonna HAVE to know if the marshmallow mint really smells like marshmallows!!!!
Can you believe this, Vanessa? I've never really cooked with fresh herbs before, but I cannot believe all these crazy mints! My mom keeps asking what I'm going to do with the ones I bought, and if I'm REALLY going to use them?!? She is not a gardener AT ALL, and can't understand the addiction, which is odd because she's been addictive to golf since shortly after I was born, so you would think she would get it...

quote:
Lunne...would you PLEASE stop finding this stuff...it is making me CRAZY!!

This quote is funnier than you know... first of all - "Lunne"??? [Big Grin] [nutz] [Embarrassed] I know it was a typo, but unfortunately it fits, doesn't it - crazy like a loon!!! [dunno] [lala] [Big Grin]
(by the way, when my daughter was born, 14 years ago, there was the same typo in the newspaper announcement - I was furious - because it did make it sound like I was crazy! Of course they wouldn't reprint the announcement... oh, well... [Roll Eyes] )

This really is soooooo much fun! Wanna trade our different mints once we get them all going?

Happy mother's day and gardening... Lynne

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 07, 2005 05:57 PM
TK - the mints root REALLY REALLY EASILY - I could wait to send some when they've taken root, or I could just send cuttings in a damp paper towel in a plastic baggy - either way, you would then just stick them in a pot and watch them go (grow)! As you know, they are very invasive, so a pot is the way to go. [thumb]

Let me look over the plants today, and I'll see if there are any runners that are ready to cut off - I love sharing my plants - it's so much fun thinking that they are growing all over the country - spread the green! [flower]

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 07, 2005 06:10 PM
Just stick them in a pot. You are talking my language there. That I can do. How much postage should I send you? The landlord didn't want payment for the mulch so I have 10.00 burning a hole in my pocket lol. I will PM you with my address.

Hey that means I can send JV his dwarf everygreen this month. That is so cool! I know what you mean by being able to share your plants. The feeling is tremendous.

-
 -
by Gardencrazy on May 07, 2005 06:28 PM
Lynn,
WOW! 4 for $10.00. That is a good price. I currently have several mints and I am kicking myself now for not buying the banana mint. [dunno] I liked the blackberry alot. Sometimes self control is a bummer. I can't go back and get more now either. [Eek!]
The woman I got the blackberry from also had a fruitsalad, Berries and cream, Peppermint patty mint and several others. She gave me a tip on making mint take root better and start to run faster. She said to pinch the tips of the tops off and it will spread out instead of growing taller at first.

Donna [flower]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 07, 2005 08:09 PM
Donna ~

I know how tempting it is to get all the varieties you see, but how reality kicks in too. Too bad you werent' able to get the other ones that that woman had - I hadn't heard of them before yesterday when I did the online search.

Which kinds do you have now? You mentioned that you have several? Would you want to trade some cuttings once mine get established?

Glad to see there are others out there who appreciate "the finer things in life". Give me a plant over some didley materialistic item anytime - having them grow makes me sooooo happy!

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 07, 2005 08:29 PM
quote:
My mom keeps asking what I'm going to do with the ones I bought, and if I'm REALLY going to use them?!?
I use a lot of fresh/dreid herbs in my cooking...makes all the difference in the world!
I also use them for garnishing. A mint sprig is really pretty on the top of a cheesecake, in a pitcher/glass of tea etc...

quote:
"Lunne"???
I started to go back and correct that...but thought it was pretty funny so I just left it! [Big Grin]

quote:
This really is soooooo much fun! Wanna trade our different mints once we get them all going?
I'm in! Will trade anything!

quote:
She said to pinch the tips of the tops off and it will spread out instead of growing taller at first.
That's what I do...and it works!

Happy Mother's day to you all as well! I will be PLANTING! [flower]

-
 -

by Gardencrazy on May 08, 2005 05:57 AM
Lynne-
I have apple mint, spearmint, blue balsam, pineapple, variegated pineapple, blackberry and lemon balm. I had chocolate and it died. Apple has big leaves compared to the others. I have loads of variegated pineapple, spearmint and lemon balm right now. Sure trading sounds good. I will start some of the others this week.

Vanessa-
Have you tried lemon balm? It is awesome in iced tea. I have also used sugered mint sprigs to garnish a chocolate cake.

I don't think you can beat the flavor of fresh mint, oregano, dill or savory.

Donna [flower]

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 08, 2005 06:35 AM
quote:
I don't think you can beat the flavor of fresh mint, oregano, dill or savory.
Or fennel or basil or, my favorite, rosemary! Just couldn't live with out her!

I have never grown the lemon balm...I have lemon basil and lemon thyme (that is outta this world yummy)

This may sound like a stupid question...but what about wintergreen? Is it in the "mint" family? I love anything winter greeny....but where does it come from and can I grow it???????

-
 -

by Gardencrazy on May 08, 2005 07:16 AM
quote:
Or fennel or basil or, my favorite, rosemary! Just couldn't live with out her!
Oh! I agree. I also enjoy lovage. I find the flavor in soup to be better then celery. [grin]

quote:
This may sound like a stupid question...
There is no such thing!

True wintergreen( Gaultheria procumbens) is a different plant. Here it is called mountain teaberry. Although there is wintergreen flavored mint.

Donna [flower]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 08, 2005 06:28 PM
G'morning and Happy Mother's Day!

Donna - this week I picked up some of the variegated pineapple and apple mints, so I won't be needing any of those in a trade - but thanks sooooo much anyway! [kissies] I also got some lemon balsam in a plant swap last week - no one would go near it because it's sooooo invasive, so I grabbed it - I'll confine it to a pot! [thumb]

A question about rooting the mints - yesterday I took some cuttings of the chocolate mint for TK, wrapped the stems in a damp paper towel, and put the wrapped end in a zip-lock baggie, but this morning they are very limp and the edges of the leaves are crispy. [tears] How do you root your mints? Must I do it in soil?

We're not much for most other herbs like the rosemary, et al... so I don't bother with planting any of those. But... mint is to die for! [Big Grin]

Have a great gardening day - it's pretty nasty here today - AGAIN!!! - but I will still plant the large pot on my mom's front porch for her gift. Her rock garden will have to wait for better weather...

-
 -
by Gardencrazy on May 08, 2005 08:35 PM
Lynne-
It sounds like you are racking up on the mints! [grin]

quote:
I also got some lemon balsam in a plant swap last week - no one would go near it because it's sooooo invasive, so I grabbed it - I'll confine it to a pot! [thumb]
Confining lemon balm to a pot won't help. It reseeds. The plants get rather big too. It will be everywheres. I love it though. What a smell. [Smile]

quote:
A question about rooting the mints

What I usually do is pull a sprig up from the ground (with a root or 2) and put it in water. They will grow roots in a matter of days. A lot of people grow mints in bogs and water features.

TK-
PM me. I can send you some plants.

Donna [flower]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 08, 2005 08:42 PM
Donna ~

quote:
Confining lemon balm to a pot won't help. It reseeds. The plants get rather big too. It will be everywheres. I love it though. What a smell.
What if I pinch back the lemon balm when the flowers first start? Think it would stay in check in a pot then?

-
 -
by Gardencrazy on May 08, 2005 09:02 PM
I've never tried pinching them back but you could try. I don't have a picture of how big they get or I would post it. I bought 2 plants 4/5 years ago and they easily get 3 feet in diameter. I hate to admit this but when they reseed I usually dig the babies back into the ground or compost them. I think every seed germinates! [Mad]

Donna [flower]

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 08, 2005 10:17 PM
quote:
I think every seed germinates!

Hhmm..interesting...I have had SOOO much trouble with my grass this year (mega weeds)maybe I will just let the lemon balm take over...wouldn't that smeel good when you mow!!!! [thumb]

-
 -

by Gardencrazy on May 09, 2005 02:45 AM
Vanessa-
You just might be able to use it as a lawn. [Smile]

Donna [flower]

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 09, 2005 05:11 AM
man, I need to! I know NOTHING about grass except how to mow it!UGH! Last year we developed a rather large brown spot over by the driveway...so, hubby asked me (first mistake)what was wrong. Well, I just kind of chalked it up to...something got poured out there..ant farm...etc. WELL, NOW I KNOW what it is...WEEDS!!! And now I think it is to late..they are everywhere! And they are growing under the St. Augustine grass so they are very hard to get to....about 4 or 5 varieties the best I can tell [shocked] So now I have HUGE brown dead spots all over the lawn! [Eek!] Thinking the lemon balm might be the way to go! [Big Grin]

-
 -

by Gardencrazy on May 09, 2005 06:11 AM
Vanessa-
Do you have any lemon balm? I can send you some if you don't. PM me.

Donna [flower]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 09, 2005 02:34 PM
Ooooooh Vanessa... I think lemon balm in your grass would smell soooooo yummy! I hate when my husband mows the lawn here and it stinks from all the onion grass that pops up EVERYWHERE! [Razz] [Mad] [Frown]

Love the clean fresh smell of mowed grass, but not the onion grass -
PPPPPPPP UUUUUUUU!

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 09, 2005 06:04 PM
I was kind of kidding...but now am thinking really serious about...do you think it would look funny?

-
 -

by 4Ruddy on May 09, 2005 08:29 PM
I just found out that my daughter-in-law found some Mexican mint and planted it....can't wait to smell that!

-
 -

by 4Ruddy on May 10, 2005 10:20 PM
I got my wheel barrow today! An oldie...got it painted and am going to put some petunias in it for now...don't know when I will be able to get my mint...but it will be ready for it when I do!

-
 -

by GiraffeMSW on May 15, 2005 04:15 AM
You guys are killing me with all the yummy mints!

Last year I planted spearmint and it died. I planted it near a water spigot outside, same type area my mom always planted it when I was a kid. The ocassional drip from the spigot always made hers insanely happy....no such luck for me.

This year, however, I have planted chocolate mint (it indeed smells heavenly although I haven't eaten any yet because I haven't a clue what to do with it), variagated pineapple mint and a regular mint.

I am dying now that I know there is a blackberry mint. Macaroni Grill restaurant offers a blackberry mint tea that I adore and if I could find a blackberry mint plant I could easily make my own! (Mint teas are about the only thing I ever use mint for actually.)

The higher the point of view, the broader the horizon...said the giraffe.
by GiraffeMSW on May 15, 2005 10:43 PM
I believe I have found the only online store that carries blackberry mint! Shipping is cheap too...$1.10 to ship two plants!

https://ecommerce.lcs.net/stores/gardenbuddies/

by 4Ruddy on May 16, 2005 09:59 PM
Thanks for the site giraff! Is your mint gettng enough sun? I moved my peppermint & spearmint last year to a spot that was not as sunny as what they were in...and it is not doing as well...they love water but have to have that sunshine as well!

-
 -

by GiraffeMSW on May 17, 2005 01:20 AM
I believe that was probably the problem...last year I planted on the shady side of the house...this year they are all in containers and are in the sun a good bit of time (although, I have moved them a bit so they don't get scorched.)

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: yummy easy fudge| Next thread: YUMMY salmon burgers! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: