The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sweet Fennal ???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by 4Ruddy on April 14, 2005 05:40 AM
I was SOOO very proud of myself today...I found some sweet fennal to put in the herb garden....so I bought it, brought it home...and then realized I don't know a darn thing about growing sweet fennal! I use fennal seeds and have used the stalks in cooking...but have always bought them. So, all I know is...I am sitting here as proud as a peacock with the prettiest sweet fennal herb in my garden. So do you cut the fuzzy fern-ie looking stuff and dry it...or cut the stalks...or let it go to seed? [dunno]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by thorns on April 17, 2005 09:47 AM
hello, you've hit paydirt! Cause you can do all three of the things you mention . Use the seeds, dried, which have a wonderful anise flavor, use bits of the ferny green for stuffing into fish or chicken, peel an outer stalk for chopping or if you're so inclined, when the bulb reaches sufficent size, harvest! Hope this helps. Best luck
by 4Ruddy on April 18, 2005 11:09 PM
Thank you Thank You thank you Thorns......this fennel is just beautiful and so far...so good! I just have a feeling it will be one of my treasures. [thumb]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: