The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dusty Miller

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Dust Mites and Aphids| Next thread: Dusty's Pasta Salad »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on April 22, 2005 03:45 PM
I have been tring to read up on this plant. I bought one thinking I was getting a lambs ear. Goes to show what I don't know about plants. lol. Anyway from what I've gathered so far it is zone 8 through 10 as a perennial. Which means I'm going to have to dig it up this fall since I am zone 7a? It also seems to say that it likes rich soil and a lot of fertilizer and soil that is more towards the sandy side? Exactly opposite of what it is planted in and it seems to like it. Is this like a last blaze of glory before it dies on me?

-
 -
by loz on April 22, 2005 06:41 PM
Tammy, I'm no expert but I don't think you should have a problem.....I'm in zone 6 and I have heavy, clayish soil full of rocks and they grow just fine for me......and I have about 20 dusty millers right now that I left outside this winter.....they come back fine here for me, there's new growth around the bottom of them and everything--and they are starting to perk right back up. They are a very common plant well known for their silvery foliage and I often use them between my flowers to give some foliage interest. [flower]
by tkhooper on April 22, 2005 06:45 PM
Thank you for the information loz. My research wasn't going well. And when that happens I start to worry, and worry, and....

-
 -
by loz on April 23, 2005 02:42 AM
Not a problam Tammy--I am a chronic worrier myself so I can relate.......

Oh, and they can flower, but they are really not anything spectacular--just little yellow flowers--they are really grown for the foliage.....One plant I like for cool foliage too is the Amaranthus--Josephs Coat. It has red, green, and yellowish leaves........tri-colored. [thumb]

You know if you are worried at all about your dusty miller you could put it in a pot with some flowers....When I make up potted arrangements for outside I often put one in with the flowers. Then you could use some good potting soil, but heck--if mine grows okay in clayish soil yours should do okay in the ground too! [thumb]
by tkhooper on April 23, 2005 03:00 AM
I'm hoping that the people that walk by there don't rip them out of the ground. If i buried a pot I don't think they would last a day. One of the commercial establishments put out pampas grass and someone took a hole mess of the feathery heads. But if I had my own yard that would be a fantastic idea.

-
 -
by loz on April 23, 2005 03:20 AM
Oh, is this for outside an apartment? I know what you mean about people ripping stuff out....my neighbor had several of her terra cotta pots stolen and smashed a few streets down from her. I myself don't have a front yard, my house is right on the sidewalk...but I do have planters on my porch and boxes on the ledges and along the sidewalk...I was amazed last year that some of the teenagers around here didn't vandalize anything.......It's kind of hard to have curb appeal when you don't have a front yard, but I try. [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dust Mites and Aphids| Next thread: Dusty's Pasta Salad »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: