The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

And they were doing so good too

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on March 19, 2005 05:59 PM
Well the herbs that I transplanted to the garden are dead. My brown thumb strikes again. [tears]
I always have this problem when I try to move plants. It doesn't matter if it's from one pot to another or from pots to garden, they always die. Even the aloe that I had to move is now browning on the tips at least I know that is because it got to much water the first time I tried to water it in it new pot.

-
 -
by obywan59 on March 21, 2005 05:44 PM
Did you harden them off? Plants that have been grown inside need to be acclimated to the outdoors gradually before they can safely be planted outside.

Set the plants outside the first day for an hour and then bring them back indoors. The second day set them out for 2 hours. Continue increasing the time by 1 hour each day. After a week they should be acclimated enough to plant outdoors.

Make sure the plants are well watered before setting them outdoors.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on March 21, 2005 09:16 PM
Oh, I didn't know that. Thankyou for the information.

I guess I will have to become an indoor gardener. If I left a pot outside for 5 minutes it would be gone or broken unless it was to massive to move/break.

Or I guess I will just have to wait and plant directly into the ground. That would work wouldn't it?

Would I mulch when I plant the seeds or wait until they were several inches tall?

-
 -
by obywan59 on March 22, 2005 04:43 AM
Yes, many seeds you can plant directly outside or plant inside to transplant out later. Many times though, one method is preferred over the other. It depends on the type of seed which is preferred. That information should be on the seed packet. I get my seeds from Johhny's Selected Seeds and they show both methods listing the preferred method first.
Many seed packets may show only the preferred method.

I wouldn't mulch until the plants are well established. At least 6 inches tall or so.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on March 22, 2005 02:22 PM
Thankyou Terry,

With the help you and all my friends here give me I may yet become a gardener. I hope so. It is such a thrill to see the little one grow.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: