The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cherry Tomato yields ??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Cherry Plants| Next thread: Cherry tomatoe types.... »
Back to Thread index
by khaadu75 on December 25, 2005 02:28 PM
Hey, A new user here so incase there is allready something like this question pls let me know where ..

My question is for anyone growing cherry tomatoes -- I grow about 15000 plants of Cherry Tomatoes and need to know which variety gives the smallest fruit but the highest yield !! Should be of the red round category ... Pls give me figures !! I produce about 4lbs per plant but I heard that U should be producing atleast 10 lbs per plant in one growing season -- Is that true ??

Any commercial farmers on board ?? Id like to hear from you ..

Cheers

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT...
by tkhooper on December 25, 2005 10:06 PM
Well one thing that I found out this year is that if you root cuttings rather than grow from seeds your yield is improved by quite a bit. You probably already know that but I'm a new gardener and didn't have a clue. It certainly proved true for me. Also adding partially decomposed compost a couple of times during the growing season increased the yield by a suprising amount. Sorry I'm not a commercial grower, but I thought I would tell you what I've learned.

-
 -
by peppereater on December 26, 2005 10:49 PM
khaadu, one commercial supplier I know of is Hydro Gardens. They sell a limited selection of seed for tomatoes, cucumbers etc. specifically for greenhouse growing, and a full range of commercial greenhouse supplies. Another site to look into is Totally Tomatoes. Both sites offer catalogues with detailed descriptions of the tomato varieties they offer.
by khaadu75 on December 26, 2005 11:41 PM
peppereater, Could you give me the web site for totally tomatoes as I typed totallytomatoes.com and nothing showed up.

Also wud u know of any forum that has a lot of commercial growers ??

Cheers

by peppereater on December 28, 2005 12:45 AM
Hmmm. I'm surprised your search didn't find anything, you were close. It's totallytomato.com
I looked at the catalogue yseterday, and saw nothing regarding international shippping. I'll go look at the website and see if it looks helpful...
by peppereater on December 28, 2005 01:04 AM
khaadu...did you try to go to the hydro gardens site? I received one of their catalogues once. They have extremely sophisticated greenhouse technology, and they actually have developed their own lines of tomato seed specifically for greenhouse production, as well as pepper and cucumber seed. They have built massive greenhouse complexes in Saudi Arabia and other locations worldwide...they may be a very useful resource for you, and they may lead you to some other commercial growers you could correspond with. It's worth looking into. Type in hydro-gardens, I think.
by khaadu75 on December 28, 2005 05:16 PM
Peppereater, Totallytomato.com seems to be on the blip . Its showing errors whenever you try and dig deeper into the site -- or is it something wrong with my server ??

Cheers

by peppereater on December 29, 2005 02:28 AM
I'm not having any problem searching their site. Try again, and good luck.
by weezie13 on December 29, 2005 11:48 AM
Here's a direct link to it..
TotallyTomato.com

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by peppereater on December 30, 2005 03:10 AM
Here's a pretty good overview of the hydroponic method of growing tomatoes
http://ag.arizona.edu/hydroponictomatoes/
by Oui on December 30, 2005 09:20 PM
I grow my tomatoes in Red Clay tilled with horse manure and white oak leaves. Both are acidic. I get so many tomatoes I have to pick the tomatoes off constantly to keep the plant from breaking.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cherry Plants| Next thread: Cherry tomatoe types.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: