The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sweet Corn & Popcorn

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: sweet autum clematis| Next thread: Sweet Corn & Popcorn Part Deux! »
Back to Thread index
by beebiz on December 19, 2005 10:19 AM
Hello All,

I am new to this forum, but have been gardening all of my 45 yrears. I know that the best way to keep two varieties of corn from cross-pollinating is to plant them a certain distance apart. But, my garden does not have the space required to do this. I also know that staggered planting dates between two varieties will prevent cross-pollination.

Here are my two questions:

1) How much stagger time should be between the planting dates of two varieties in order to keep the from cross-pollinating? I intend to plant either Golden Bantam or Early Golden Bantam sweet corn and want to plant it before the popcorn. I am not yet sure what kind of popcorn.

2) I live in zone 6 (on the line between 6a & 6b). I plan to plant my GB or EGB the 3rd or 4th week of April. Given that information, if I wait to plant the popcorn until after I harvest the sweet corn, should I still have enough growing time left to have the popcorn mature and harvest it before a heavy frost kills it?

Thanks in advance for any information that you are willing to share.

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by Triss on December 19, 2005 01:36 PM
No idea on that one Robert, but wanted to welcome you to the Forum.

I do know from living in NE for the last 3 years that at least there, there is not a long enough growing season to run 2 crops of corn. And that they detassel corn to stop cross-pollination. I just do not know how all that works.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by beebiz on December 19, 2005 04:02 PM
Hi Triss,

Thanks for the welcome and for the information. I never heard of detasseling the corn before. I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the much shorter growing season in NE and therefore not as much stagger time available.

Again, thanks for the welcome. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Hap, Hap, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by peppereater on December 19, 2005 11:58 PM
Beebiz...not an expert, but I believe the major problem is with the supersweet hybrids. If they are pollinated by a non-super, you'll get "feedcorn." The bantams are not supersweets.
You shouldn't have to wait 'til anything like harvest time to plant another corn. Check out the days to harvest in the descriptions, and use that as the basis for planting times...it may be that this is just a rough guideline, though.
by beebiz on December 20, 2005 07:17 AM
Hey Guys,

First of all, I thank you for your information and replies. I posted this same question on a couple of other garden forums and I have gotten an answer that, given my gardening experience, should have been quite obvious to me. The major factor when deciding a stagger time is the MATURITY dates. If you have two corns that mature at the same time or within a few days of each other, there needs to be a couple of weeks between plantings. But if there is already 10+ days between maturity, there should have to be little to no stagger time!

That was one that should have been as obvious to me as the nose on my face, but... How humbling!! :>0

Thanks again,
Robert

There's nothing quite so humbling and mind blowing as learning that regardless of your knowledge and past experience, the simplest things are still quite easily overlooked!!

by Triss on December 20, 2005 07:37 AM
Robert, Here is a bit about detasseling that I found out there on the web. Hope you stick around with us and let us know how the corn does.

Corn detasseling is the crucial last step in producing hybrid corn seed. It involves removing the pollen-producing top part of the plant, the tassel, so the corn can't pollinate itself. Instead, pollen from another variety of corn grown in the same field is carried by the wind, pollinating the detasseled corn. The result is corn that bears the genetic characteristics of both varieties and can produce healthier crops with higher yields. Despite technological advances in agriculture, detasseling is still a task that for the most part is done by hand.

-
 -
by beebiz on December 20, 2005 10:52 AM
Hey Triss,

All I can say is, "Well, I'll be darned!!!" I never heard of this. But then again, I never tried to grow corn for the purpose of producing a hybrid seed. I have always wanted what I planted and was more concerned about preventing any hankey-panky between it and other varieties in the area!!

As for sticking around, that's up to the Good Lord. But if I get my way, I will still be here! I am a member of a couple of other garden forums; all of which have their good points. One (the largest that I know of) has a lot of good information and a lot of good people on it, but... It also has several... snooty... know-it-all... go away kid, you bother me type of people. And if you ask the wrong question, you can wind up with the feeling that you probably don't have enough smarts to wipe your own nose after blowing it!! I DON'T like that. All of us (newbies AND highly educated, highly experienced) have something that others can learn from us! And, to treat someone (especially a newbie) as though they don't have the smarts to find their own socks is a sure fire way to discourage them from asking questions which will in turn encourage their failures. Either way, it's a good way to cause a person to say, "the heck with gardening" and make them quit. What a shame... What a SHAME. Next thing you know, you have a whole community, town, or city without anyone who knows how to set out a tomato plant... much less how to help it produce beautiful, wonderful tasting fruit!! Again, what a shame!!

Here on this site, I read quite a few posts before I decided to join. It's not the biggest, by far. But of all the posts that I read, I did not see one mean-spirited, sarcastic, or rude response to a question. Instead, what I found was a bunch of people... almost family-like that seemed to be willing to take a person by the hand and lead them down the path of success that they themselves had already traveled. Notice I didn't say that they drug them screaming, stumbling, and impatiently, I said that they LED them! There's a HUGE difference.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox for now! ;>) I just wanted you to know that I appreciate this site and the people who make it up.

Have a great holiday,
Robert

by Triss on December 20, 2005 11:02 AM
Robert,

Apparently you did not hit the banter hall, coffeehouses. That is where we get wild, rowdy and sarcastic but all in good fun. You will find that we are a big happy family here. We all love to garden, but more importantly we all treasure the friendships we have found here. We laugh and cry together and we learn from one another both old and new.

You were obviously brought here for a reason and I am glad you found us. I know Bill will smile when he reads what wonderful things you have to say about the place he has made home for us all.

-
 -
by loz on December 20, 2005 11:13 AM
quote:
Instead, what I found was a bunch of people... almost family-like that seemed to be willing to take a person by the hand and lead them down the path of success that they themselves had already traveled. Notice I didn't say that they drug them screaming, stumbling, and impatiently, I said that they LED them!
Robert, we are VERY glad to have you here with us.....we love all of our members, new ones and old ones...And we are very much like a family, but not one that shuns new family members out--a family that embraces new members to the full extent..... [Smile]

And we all start at a beginner level at some time so we would never try to make another member feel that they asked a trivial or dumb question....All questions are greatly valued....how can a person learn if they don't ask...and if one person is thinking a question, then there are probably at least 10 others wondering the same thing.

I'm so glad that after reading some of our posts that you decided to join us. [thumb] I too checked out several other gardening forums before becoming a member here, but I've never been back to them since. I may be biased but I truly don't know of any other site on the net with as many friendly, helpful, & courteous people.

Enjoy the site, and I really hope you do stick around with us. [kissies]

laura [wavey]
by 4Ruddy on December 20, 2005 11:51 AM
Robert...let me throw my 1 1/2 cents worth in. I knew pretty much nothing about what I was trying to do in the garden when I came here...and I mean pretty much nothing AT ALL!!! I have asked some of the most sure fired stupid questions thinkable! But not one time has anyone ever done anything but be extremely patient and helpful and babied me through the entire process. As a matter of fact...when I did something WRONG...I got praised for trying...now , you just can't beat that with a stick. Last year...my second summer here..I had 3 successful veggie gardens and 4 successuful herb gardens...not to mention my new strawberry & blackberry beds and the flowers. And not so much that I know everything I need to know...as much as I know where to find the answers I need!
So, know that you are welcome here...and know that we WILL pick your brain from time to time...some of us need all the help we can get!!!
So, welcome and make yourself at home!

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by beebiz on December 20, 2005 12:43 PM
Thanks again everyone! I feel like I was just part of a group hug!!! :>)

Laura, I like your attitued about questions, and totally agree. My grandmother used to say, "The only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked!" As you stated, if a person doesn't ask, they surely will not learn. But, not everyone looks at it that way. Some people seem to get a feeling of being knowledgeable, important, or "big" from making someone else feel "dumb." As I said, I'm glad that I didn't find that here! ;>)

And Triss, I'll let everyone know how things go with the corn. I am also planning to try some no-till tomato plantings this year. I'd like to have some Brandywines that I can save seeds from, but they always cross with my other tomatoes, due to being too close. The rest of my yard is on such a slope that I don't dare till the ground, so I figured I'd try the no-till method on one of the slopes. Again, I'll keep everyone posted!

Thanks again for the family-styled warmth and welcom!!

Robert

by beebiz on December 20, 2005 12:50 PM
BTW ~V~, I'm glad that you have found the proper guidance and help to enable you to have successful gardens. It is my wish and my prayer that you continue to have success in your endeavors.

As for picking my brain, I only have one functional brain cell, and it misfires about 80-85% of the time!! :>0 But if you find anything in there that you can use, you are welcome to it! A word of caution though. If you start to pick my brain, you might want to bring a flashlight with some good batteries. It's awful dark in there!! :>0 :>0

Robert

by Triss on December 20, 2005 01:24 PM
Oh you will fit right in here Robert!

I have never heard of no till gardening. What is that?

For the slopes, have you ever thought of making stairs with rock to enable you to make use of the space?

-
 -
by beebiz on December 20, 2005 01:59 PM
Triss,

I wish I could do the stair step gardening!! As bad as my back is, I'm lucky to garden at all!! :>) There's no way my back would hold out to make the first step, much less the rest. And, we don't have the $$$$ to pay someone to do it!!

As for no-til gardening, it's a kissing cousin to no-til farming. Do a Google search for "no-till gardening" and you should get several sources for information.

Here's what I intend to do with the tomatoes. I'll lay a relatively thick layer of newspaper (could use cardboard, but have lots of newspaper) right on top of the grass, wet it down to hold it in place, and let it stay for a few weeks to kill the grass. I will then mulch that with compost, leaves, coffee grounds, and other organics. When ready to set out tomatoes, I will part the mulch, dig a hole through the newspaper and into the dirt, add soil amendments as necessary, and set the tomato plants in the hole. By not tilling the ground, the worms, beneficial insects, dormant grass/weed seeds and other "good for the garden stuff" doesn't get disturbed. The newspaper serves as a weed barrier, and the mulch helps control moisture. The mulch also makes it easy to weed around the plants due to the fact that the grass seeds don't germinate as well in it as they do in soil, and when they do germinate, they have a hard time setting root systems. And in my case, the no-til gardening helps prevent the loss of valuable top soil.

Well, that's the "fast food" version! Like I said, you can find lots of information through a Google search on the subject.

My wife and I love new potatoes that are fresh from the garden. But with my bad back, digging them is completely out of the question. So, I've done some reasearch on the subject and have found an alternative way to grow them that I may try. Here's the quick version of this idea:

First, cardboard or newspaper is laid on the ground in a row. Next, seed potatoes are placed on top of the paper and spaced properly. Next, they are covered with several inches of straw or wasted hay (5-6"). Next, as the plants grow, continue to hill them up with the straw or wasted hay. Finally, when ready to harvest, simply brush or rake away the straw or hay and pick up your potatoes. NO DIGGING!!!!!! It was also noted that this method allows the gardener to "steal" a few early potatoes without disturbing the whole plant. Simply replace the straw that was removed to get to the potatoes.

If this works as easily as is claimed, it will be a dream come true for my wife and I. We love new potatoes.

Triss, it's late and I've got to get to bed. Hope you have enjoyed reading this and I hope it helps someone.

Have a good night,
Robert

by Triss on December 20, 2005 02:49 PM
I sure have. Those are some really great ways to garden. And that is an idea that would get a lot of reading if it were put over in Gardening with Disabilities.

Thanks for sharing. Looking very forward to more of your posts, that is for sure!

-
 -
by tkhooper on December 20, 2005 09:50 PM
Welcome Robert,

Enjoyed reading your post. I to have trouble with gardening although mine is endurance related. I garden in about 15 minute periods lol. Although I have been known to do an hour and a half when it comes to the compost bin lol. I have a slope and am building steps every chance I get. Recently I got some bricks from a home demo in the area. So next year I'll be trowelling the garden. Oh boy, that was a bad one lol. I couldn't resist. Fortunately I don't pun often.

Hope you are having a great holiday season.

-
 -
by beebiz on December 21, 2005 09:47 AM
Hi tkhooper,

I also know what you mean by endurance problems. I have had heart attacks and 6 bypasses done. Between that, the diabetes induced neuropathy, and my back, I'm a lot like you. Sometimes I garden for 10 minutes and sit for an hour... sometimes I garden for an hour and sit for 10 minutes. Just depends on the kind of day I'm having.

The most important thing is that we continue to try, try, try, try and NEVER, under ANY circumstances, give up!!

You have a great holiday too,
Robert

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sweet autum clematis| Next thread: Sweet Corn & Popcorn Part Deux! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: