The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

strange growth in dirt

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Strange fungi?| Next thread: Strange Mites Invading! Help! »
Back to Thread index
by christinat809 on July 21, 2004 11:37 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and glad to be here! My boyfriend and I are growing basil, lavender, parsley, and hot peppers in a wooden planter/box and we seem to have these weird clusters growing in the dirt. Not sure what they are....PLEASE HELP???!!!!!

P.S. I would like to attach a picture for you all to see but I have no idea how to do so! Can anyone help with that too?? [Smile] sorry
by Sami on July 22, 2004 12:10 AM
Welcome to the site!
[wayey]
You need to have your picture hosted somewhere on the internet...ie - webshots or photobucket, etc. Then, just post the link in your post using the image codes.

-
Talentless but connected.
by weezie13 on July 22, 2004 07:03 AM
[wayey] Hi Christinat809,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum....
We are very glad you found us!!

Can I ask some questions???

What kind of dirt do you have in your planter box?
How old is the wooden planter box??
How much sun/shade does this area get?????

Weezie

Did what Sami tell you help at all with the pictures??
Let us know!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by just gladys on July 22, 2004 01:49 PM
If you have potting soil in the boxes....it's probably some kind of fungus/mushroom......I had a plant years ago that would sprout yellow looking mushrooms that resembled a part of the male anatomy to be quite frank........I thought it was weird.........but they really did look like that! Sorry for being crude! [Embarrassed]

Gladys
by christinat809 on July 22, 2004 07:21 PM
Hey everyone! Thanks for the replies!! To answer everyone's questions/comments in one reply....The dirt I use is MiracleGro Flower and Vegetable. Is that not good?? And the box is only about 5 months old. The box is in our patio which faces east so it gets morning sun until about 12:30 p.m. or so and shade the rest of the afternoon. I probably won't be posting a picture but Gladys, that's exactly what some of them look like!! Some of them are yellow that resemble the male anatomy and some look like little bowls with black seeds in them. Very strange! But the plants seem to be doing fine. However, I have just recently noticed this growth and I go out to check on my plants almost everyday. So......
Anyway, thanks again for the replies and any more information anyone else can give!

Christina
by Nako on July 23, 2004 01:24 AM
quote:
probably won't be posting a picture but Gladys, that's exactly what some of them look like!! Some of them are yellow that resemble the male anatomy and some look like little bowls with black seeds in them.
*giggles* lol sorry ^.^

Hopefully you'll figure out what those are. They sound pretty though [Smile] What color are they?

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Tempest on July 23, 2004 07:14 PM
[sleepy]
by Tempest on July 23, 2004 07:14 PM
The main problem I always had with Miricle Grow Plants is that sometimes plants become addicted in a sense, and if you stop using it they usually shrivel up and die. (I think they go through withdrawals, and I have begun referring to Miricle Grow as PlantCrack) Sooo, me personaly, I NEVER buy miracle grow, but I do use potting soil and I too get those little, shall we say, phallic mushrooms in my plants. It took weeks for them to stop growing in my carrots...lol.
I think they may be called puffballs but am not sure as I am still learning my mushrooms.
Tempest~
by weezie13 on July 24, 2004 06:30 AM
Christina,
I would have said it was the planter box if it was older...
Sometimes when wood breaks down that happens..
But, I am wondering about the bottom of the planter box, does it have drain holes??
Sometimes, there may be a wood material *ie; peatmoss* in potting soils which is decomposed hunks and pieces of wood, so it may be just that.
If it doesn't recieve alot of sun and it's a tad wet, it could be the combo of the two..

Is it possible to scoop out the formations?
And see if they keep coming back?

Your plants are doing okay though?

And keep us posted???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by pagarden on July 26, 2004 04:13 AM
i have lots of these in my garden too. my neighbor said they were a type of mushroom so i did a little searching on the web and found them. they are called Bird's Nest Fungus. here's a link...

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/pljune96.htm

i usually just pull out some clusters and throw them away.
by Arctostaphylos on August 05, 2004 11:37 PM
Yep what you have is the fungal fruiting bodies (mushrooms) of a couple of common fungi. As pagarden points out the one is a birds nest fungi (a fairly large group of dis-similar fungi) the other is a fungi that is quite common indoors in our area (the name escapes me at the moment). However the long and short of it they represent no threat to your plants. Happy gardening.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Strange fungi?| Next thread: Strange Mites Invading! Help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: