The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Recipe for animal mosquito repellant

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Recent harvests| Next thread: Recipe for Giant Bubbles for Kids »
Back to Thread index
by Dixie Angel on March 22, 2005 07:46 PM
While searching the net to find a mosquito repellant that I can use on my Jack Russell baby, I found this. I thought someone else might like to try it, too!

-------------------------------------------------
If you are looking for a natural repellant for mosquitos may I suggest the plant Basil. Grow a small plant of Basil (yes the spice) around all your windows and doors. To turn it into an application, pick the leaves and let them dry. Crush them (in a mortor and pestal if you have one) so that you have 1/2 cup of dried basil. Mix this with 1/2 cup of pure Veggie oil. Let this mixture set. You can speed up the process by applying light heat to it. When the oil has absorbed the basil (you will see the change) you are done. Apply the oil to your pets.Rub it in to their coats and down to the skin. The oil is also very good for their skins. You can use it on yourself also! Just keep adding more Basil and oil to the already made and you have your supply!

-------------------------------------------------
We are already having skeeter problems here in SC and, even though my Angel takes heartworm preventative year round, I thought this might keep her from getting bitten, too. [dunno] Don't know if it works, yet, but I figure it is worth a try.

Dianna

-
 -
by Sue Z on March 22, 2005 09:30 PM
Passin along this excellent tip Dianna,

to daughter's friend, who also has a jack

russel (toooooooo sweetttttttttt, he

is. [Cool] )

Thanx.
Sue Z [wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by adirondack on March 23, 2005 04:37 AM
rhue is another good repellant.
i go to the feedstore and get the roll on ,it's for horses ponies and 'dogs' rubbed on collar or fur where they can't reach,like center of back fur works.
i even put it on my collar/pants,sleeves. sure works, here and at our land in canada-the bugs get bad at times, this works.
wildman eats a bit of hot peppers and garlis-he rarely ever gets bit..
hmmmm
[Wink]

-
Take time to enjoy life,especially the natural/simple things.
We only have one life to live,we weren't put here to stress out.
by Dixie Angel on March 23, 2005 02:57 PM
What is rhue? [Embarrassed] It is poisonous if the animal can lick it? That is why I have been looking for a more "Angel" friendly source of repelling the skeeters. Don't want to take a chance on my baby getting sick from licking the cure!

Dianna

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Recent harvests| Next thread: Recipe for Giant Bubbles for Kids »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: