The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

storing potatoes and carrots

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: storing iris & lilies| Next thread: Storing seeds »
Back to Thread index
by Tamara from Minnesota on October 20, 2005 08:02 AM
Has anyone stored their carrots in sand like they recommend? I have never harvested carrots before. They are so pretty! I grew orange, yellow and purple! I left a few in the ground to see how big they get. Should I dry and then wash my potatoes I dug up, or wash and then dry? Any storage secrets? Last year I had too many and sort of forgot to eat them and had a lot of seed potatoes! I don't want to waste too many this year, yet I do want seed potatoes.

-
by LadyBug9071 on October 20, 2005 11:24 AM
Hi Tamara,

I usually leave the carrots in the ground until the ground freezes. They seem to get sweeter the longer I leave them. Then I dig and cut the top but leave a stub of green. Wash them and store in plastic bags refrigerated. I have had no luck in the sand as I read it also.
As for potatoes...I leave them in the garden cart or spread out in the sun so some of the dirt can dry off them after I dig. Don't wash them. Then I dump them in a bin in my storage room which keeps pretty cool.
I am in a moderate climate here in Montana and it may be different in Minnesota as far as when the ground freezes however.
Hope I have helped some.
LadyBug9071
by Tamara from Minnesota on October 22, 2005 06:05 AM
Hmm, does the ground have to freeze or just a hard frost? How can you dig if the grouns freezes?

-
by LadyBug9071 on October 22, 2005 11:01 AM
Tamara,

I can usually still have carrots in the ground after several hard frosts. When it starts to get below freezing for about a week in a row maybe then I dig the remainder carrots.
It would be hard to dig if the ground gets very frozen. We have a very dry climate so the ground can be pretty cold but still able to dig. You probably have more humidity so just use you best judgement.
Hope I didn't just confuse you
LadyBug
by noxzema on October 23, 2005 07:35 AM
I am so lucky...as I have a root cellar to keep mine in.

Wish I could help you with your question, all I know it has to be a cool place that gets no frost for potatoes

If at first you dont succeed, rotate your crops

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: storing iris & lilies| Next thread: Storing seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: