The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

WINTER STORAGE OF POTTED ASIATIC LILIES

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Winter Sticks| Next thread: Winter Tomatoes »
Back to Thread index
by nikisue on October 22, 2006 12:22 AM
I live in Zone 5 and during the summer had large pots of Asiatic lilies on my balcony. I would like to save the bulbs for use next year. Would it be acceptable to leave them in the soil and pots and to store them in an and unlit underground parking facility? If so, should they be cut back and should they be watered.

Any help is appreciated.
by alankhart on October 22, 2006 06:32 AM
You can leave them in the pots...I have 2 pots with lilies that I leave outside year round. Just cut them back and if you are going to put them in the parking facility, water infrequently...they really don't need much during their dormant period.

-
 -
 -
by PartyGirl on October 26, 2006 04:25 PM
NikiSue,

I thought they needed to freeze. Chicago is maybe too cold for a pot, but an underground parking facility (is this a parking garage?) wouldn't get much below 55 degrees. I think you need something in the middle at about 25-30 degrees for 16 weeks. Naturally, they can take a lot more cold than that if they're in the ground, but a pot is more exposed.

Last year, I had about 500 lilies in my leaf pile (like a cold compost pile) and they were happy as clams. Some were planted and some I just threw in there (in mesh bags to keep the varieties separate). The Lily Society sold them in Spring as a fundraiser.

Do you know anybody with an unheated garage?

PG

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Winter Sticks| Next thread: Winter Tomatoes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: