The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Osage Orange Trees From Seed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by GREEN DRAGON FLOWER FARM on January 20, 2006 05:09 AM
[flower] Has anyone ever grown an osage orange tree from seed? I just purchased some seeds with intent to grow them for a natural fence for when I purchase a home. Great home security devices huh. Anyhow, should I cold stratify these for 90 days or just pop them into some soil now and begin them inside. I saw that one of the seeds had cracked open and I decided to take a taste... no wonder the animals go crazy for them!! Tastes like a orange flavored walnut!

Another Question about starting trees. Has anyone ever grown apples from seed? I have here in front of me the seeds of *30* kinds of apples!! I found 28 varieties from a few Michigan apple orchards that are well over 100 years old. How should I start these seeds? The other 2 varieties came from apples my residents gave to me. Thanx again for the great advice and yall have a great week.
by kabuti on January 23, 2006 11:27 AM
Hi, all I know about osage or hedgeapple is; dont place the posts in upside down if you cut them to build a fence, they will rot off. They will last & get harder, forever if you place them in rightside up. as for a living fence, I don't know. where can we get some seed?
by obywan59 on January 23, 2006 04:34 PM
I was visiting Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania maybe 15 years ago or so and swiped some osage oranges that had fallen on the ground. I stratified the seeds in my refigerator and then planted the sprouted seeds in pots in the spring.
I got maybe a dozen or so little trees. Some of them dried out, but I gave some away and planted a couple. Then when I moved to Floyd County, VA, I dug them up and transplanted them. Unfortunately, they didn't make it through the first winter. I guess it was because I moved a zone further north and they weren't acclimated to the colder temperatures. Anyway, I got some seeds from one of the friends I had given a tree to, went through another round of stratification, and now have a couple young growing trees again.

I didn't know about eating the seeds, but I've made orange marmalade from the peels and what little pulp there is inside the fruits.

Your right about the home security. They have HUGE thorns. I've considered planting a hedge of them around the edge of my property to help deter the deer.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by obywan59 on January 23, 2006 04:38 PM
I've never tried planting apple seeds, but I don't think they will come true to type, as most apples require pollination from a different variety and may be pollinated by more than one variety, so the seedlings will likely be different from the parents.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: