The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

SEVIN....What I have against it

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Phil and Laura on July 07, 2004 05:25 PM
Now Folks ,In the Past I used Sevin, and I must tell you of a incident that scared the hell out of me, I was hot and sweaty one day and accidently Dropped the jug while trying to screw it onto the hose end sprayer, I got the solution of sevin and water all over my forearms....I had blurred vision, a sick feeling, and,even though it could have been my nerves from WORRYING, I had the shakes! Now Everyone uses Sevin it seems, Each day that we consume vegetables and fruit from the supermarket, we get trace amounts, Think I'm Joking? Go get a Complete Blood Panel for Toxins
We don't get noticebly Ill, WHY, we , as Americans ,have built up our resistance by consuming those "trace" amounts.
Besides Killing our Honeybee's, and beneficials, there are much DEEPER HEALTH CONCERN'S.
Now Any insecticide that will kill the Bad bugs(excluding a few)Will kill the beneficials, EVEN ORGANICS!!! Always apply ANYTHING, when the bee's are NOT ACTIVE, always FIND a pest or PROBLEM before you use ANYTHING, NOT just because you "think you may" have a problem, AND
Don't be an IDIOT Like Me [Embarrassed] and Wear Protective clothing,long sleeves,gloves,etc. READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS...some insects take a stronger OR weaker Dose of the SAME product
WHATEVER YOU USE, USE IT RESPONSIBLY, It's JUST not your health, it's your children's, your Pets, your gardens, and OUR EARTH"S
for more info on the E.P.A. findings on Carbaryl(sevin) click on this link: Sevin..EPA Findings Feel; Free to comment [wayey]
by barleychown on July 07, 2004 07:47 PM
Thank you for taking the time to post this! [clappy]

I stopped using 90% of the chemicals I had been using on my plants and lawn when I noticed the effect they were having on my pets...that's some scary stuff.

Most of the time there is a viable option to deal with your 'problems' that will only require a few more minutes of your time, and no chemicals. ( i.e. I've gotten really good at going thru my yard at midnight, looking for slugs and snails with a flashlight [Razz] )

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Phil and Laura on July 07, 2004 08:27 PM
Kinda Fun Too! Ain't it? c'mon admit it!! [Big Grin]
Just like when we were hand-picking the wormies from the Cauliflower and Brocolli! I like Squishin' em' [grin] And I seen a lil EVIL smile in Laura's eye too! [Smile] Ya know as long as you don't have 50 or so cole crops, why spray or dust...You will only end up knocking down some beneficials in the process, we had a combined 38 plants to hand pick, and I am proud to say...No Spray [thumb] and only a few small holes total from the Hungry lil Boogers!
by barleychown on July 07, 2004 09:16 PM
I must admit I was very grossed out by it the first few nights, but now I get a sad sense of pleasure out of finding them and doing away with them! [grin]

I also find mashing the aphids on my roses fun.

My husband wonders about my sanity, though... [Razz] [lala]

-
 -

by Phil and Laura on July 08, 2004 04:42 PM
As Long as You limit your aggression to small living beings that you out weigh a couple thousand times! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] , what's the concern with Sanity! [nutz] [lala] Besides...Name one SANE person ...On this site! [thinker] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by weezie13 on July 08, 2004 05:32 PM
[grin] [Smile] [wayey] [lala]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by barleychown on July 08, 2004 07:39 PM
Hmmm, Sane, you say?

*Looking around....thinking...looking again....*

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -

by plantlady19 on July 09, 2004 07:09 PM
Only crazy people think they are sane. And only sane people admit to being crazy.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: