The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

"Dim Bulb" Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: "Crying Pothos"| Next thread: "Dim bulb" question series »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on October 03, 2005 11:20 AM
Is it possible to take the top of a tomato plant and root it and then over winter that for next years crop?

It probably a crazy question but I just wondered.
by MaryReboakly on October 03, 2005 11:44 AM
I think ya oughta try it. Interesting concept - I hope someone knows and/or has tried.

-
 -
by papito on October 03, 2005 08:38 PM
Here you go TKH:

http://www.vegetableseed.net/heirloom-vegetable-seeds/heirloom-tomato-seeds/rooting-tomato-cuttings.html

from the above site...

quote:
Rooting Tomato Cuttings

In this locality July and August are the best time to root tomato cuttings. The tops and suckers will root readily if inserted in boxes of moist sand or moist shady places. The cutting should be 3 or 4 inches in length. Keep well watered, and they will be nicely rooted in about 9 days, when they should be taken up and set the same as for seedlings. They will begin bearing almost as soon as they begin growing well. They are preferable to seedlings.

In making the cuttings half of each large leaf should be taken off.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by tkhooper on October 03, 2005 10:45 PM
This is so cool. I have one more question though so I hope your still around lol. If they begin baring fruit as soon as they start growing well am I going to have winter tomatoes? I mean it's only october and they grew pretty fast this spring as seedlings. I took for cuttings and they are in very moist soil that I got from my compost pile. And my "found" potting table is in a very nice protected shady location so I think I'm good on all counts.

Thankyou so much for the information. I'm very excited. I so hope this works. I have probably another 12 days or more until first frost so I have time to take more cuttings if these don't do very well.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: "Crying Pothos"| Next thread: "Dim bulb" question series »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: