The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Allysum and Dianthus dying!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: allready in and not level| Next thread: almond tree »
Back to Thread index
by clthoma on June 30, 2004 03:38 AM
I have a flower bed on the south and west side of my house. In both beds I have alyssum and dianthus. The weather is good and they have been doing great! They are beautiful (or were anyway).

This morning I noticed the dianthus on the south side have browning leaves (tips are turning tan and in some areas just tan spots on the leaves). The asyssum are turning brown and beginning to wilt. It would remind me of plants that were literally burning under hot sun, but that is not the case. Our weather has not been hot and they have been watered appropriately. The only pests I see are ants and knats.

The alyssum and dianthus on the west side of the house are doing fine.

Last year in the same south side bed I planted four-o'clocks. They also were doing great - they were several feet tall and blooming wonderfully - until mysterious tan spots starting appearing on the leaves and then everything just died.

I don't understand how they can be growing great one day and dying the next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, Cheryl
by weezie13 on June 30, 2004 07:24 AM
Clthoma,
Hello and Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!

Just a quick thought, anyone peeing on that area?

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by frustratedattimes on June 30, 2004 04:02 PM
I was having the same problem with my Dianthus on the West side of my house. It started getting this brown color on the leaves, and the blooms looked kinda blah,,, I figured it was dying anyway, so I cut them back, removing all the blooms, and brown colored foliage. They came back in no time, and the brown foliage was gone. Do not know if it was lack of sun, or to much water that caused mine.

Hope this helps

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by clthoma on June 30, 2004 11:35 PM
My husband happened to think that perhaps our kids were spraying them with Deep Woods Off. I sprayed OFF on one of the healthy plants on the west side this morning and by this evening it's looking a lot like the others that are dying. Not sure if this is the solution (since kids never own up to anything :-) but if this is the case, is there any way to save them?

Thanks for all your help.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: allready in and not level| Next thread: almond tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: