The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

chocolate cosmos?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by rainie on October 11, 2006 02:24 AM
I bought some chocolate cosmos from michigan bulb. It says they are hardy to zone 6 - I am sort of in between zones 5 and 6 near lake erie in ohio. Has anyone had any luck overwintering them? I was going to plant them in a protected area, but they are just little babys.... [dunno]
by sibyl on October 11, 2006 02:47 AM
hi rainie [wavey]
im in zone 6, eries only a few hours drive, i live about 10 minutes from west virgina border,, ive never had chocolate cosmos, but all my other cosmos bribht lights,,sensations,,an sea shells, ive always had to reseed, once and awile theyll pop up ,but its better to reseed them. my sea shells never bloom till fall so mabe theres still time for your chocolates to bloom, keep some seeds just to be on the safe side [Wink]
hope i helped some

-
 -
by sibyl on October 11, 2006 03:07 AM
ops!
the chocolates are sapost to be perinals hu? well if my annuals pop up every now and then im shure your perinals will do fine, usealy when your close to another zone you can go by it, just put some extra mulch on it this winter,

-
 -
by rainie on October 11, 2006 04:51 AM
I hope they make it, but I am really not sure... I ordered them eeons ago from michigan bulb (back in August)but the haven't even shipped yet [Razz] so I'm sure the little once inch plants are going to kick it before they go to seed and I'll never get to see them.... This was my first year ordering plants online, I learned my lesson to check the shipping dates, I was sooo looking forward to them. I guess I will just mulch like crazy and hope for the best, do you think I could plant them in a pot and take them in for the winter? [thinker]
by alankhart on October 11, 2006 05:21 AM
Chocolate cosmos grows from a tuber, sort of like a dahlia. I'm in zone 6b/7a and mine overwinter just fine. I would do 2 things: make sure it's planted in well drained soil and mulch to protect it. It is late to come up in spring, so mark the spot where you plant it.

-
 -
 -
by rainie on October 11, 2006 10:02 PM
Thanks - but I'm a little skeptical.... [scaredy] It's a little colder here! How tall are yours, do tey spread? Do you have any pictures? I heard they are great for butterflies, I'm soo excited, I hope they make it! [clappy]
by alankhart on October 12, 2006 02:02 AM
Mine get about 2' tall about 1' wide. They don't spread very much and I've never had them reseed like annual cosmos does. I'll check to see if I have a photo.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: