The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pictures and Questions of my Garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by BigJimSlade on September 12, 2005 10:48 AM
Hi! Big Jim here:

Many questions. First off, the strawberries. Is it natural for one strawberry plant to create so many runners? I am running out of pots. [Smile]
 -

Next, What could it mean if I have a few leaves on my calamandarin that are colored as such:
 -

Next, I have this lime tree. Please note the older leaves and their size compared to the new growth leaves. Should the leaves be THAT much larger? It seems weird:
 -

Then just for fun, here are my upside down tomatoes (plum). I have gotten lots of flowers, but no fruit as of yet. I am guessing it is too hot here in Tampa:
 -

Well, any thoughts on the lime tree and the calamandarin would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Big Jim
by weezie13 on September 12, 2005 11:36 AM
Hey Jim...
I can answer #1 and #4 maybeeeeee???

#1. Yes, it is possible..but the more you let the plant make runners, it won't make fruit..
Once those babies have planted roots in those
pots...*Great [thumb] set up you have there by the way!* Just cut the runner thingie, between the plants.. this will help the babies start doing their own thing and the momma be able to go back makin' strawberries..
Pinch any runners off next...
Remember, the more the runners, the less the fruit.

#4.
A. What did you use for dirt for the pot/container for the tomatoes??
Bagged, if so, whats' the name brand?
B. Did you use any fertilizer on your plants?
If so, what kind and the numbers on it???
C. How much sun did the plant recieve????
D. How much water???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Longy on September 12, 2005 01:55 PM
Hi Jim. I reckon the leaves on your lime are bigger because the light you grow them under is not as strong as direct all day sunlight. Remember they are a full sun plant. I recall you grow it on a balcony. I wouldn't worry too much. The leaves look healthy enough.
The burnt margin on the leaf is a possible potash deficiency but don't freak out. If it's just a small proportion of the leaves just keep an eye on it. When you next fertilise it will probably take care of it. This deficiency tends to be obvious on recently matured leaves, as opposed to older or half formed leaves. Is this the case?

-
The secret is the soil.
by obywan59 on September 12, 2005 02:34 PM
Weezie, for once I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. [tears] That mother plant will have no problem producing fruit come spring. And now Big Jim has 9 plants--9 times the fruit.

Here's an idea Big Jim. I think I posted a link earlier in the year about strawberry plants in a plant hanger. Just leave the runners attached. It will make a nice hanging plant. Especially when the mother plant and the hanging babies flower and set fruit.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by obywan59 on September 12, 2005 02:41 PM
I found the link I mentioned in my last post. It was in a thread started by Phoenix. Scroll down to my reply to get the link for strawberry hanging plants. http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000617;p=0

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by BigJimSlade on September 13, 2005 01:18 AM
obywan:
I never thought the hanging babies would produce fruit. That is really cool, and I will have to try that out next season. If I try to move that heap of plants now, I'll cause all sorts of trouble [Wink]

Longy:
I am very surprised to learn that the leaves grow so much larger just because they don't get full direct sun. They get about 5-6 hours of full to partial sunlight through my porch screen. Like you said, they look healthy, so I guess that is all that counts.

weezie:

A. What did you use for dirt for the pot/container for the tomatoes??
Bagged, if so, whats' the name brand?
--- The soil was miracle grow.

B. Did you use any fertilizer on your plants?
If so, what kind and the numbers on it???
--- No fertilizer, but I have some liquid tomato stuff I can use.

C. How much sun did the plant recieve????
--- 5-6 hours direct/partial screened sun.

D. How much water???
--- I flood this guy at least twice a week. Sometimes they need a 3rd or 4th time to keep them from drooping.

Thanks again for all your help! [Smile]
by ladybug67 on September 15, 2005 08:00 AM
I have a cherry tomatoe plant that is two maybe three time as big. but would love a roma tomatoe plant next year!!! I just couldn't believe how big it got!! DEE

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: