The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

artemesia silver mound

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Arrowhead Ivy| Next thread: Artemisia (Wormwood) »
Back to Thread index
by melcon6 on September 30, 2006 08:41 PM
I love silver mound. I wanted it for so long, but when I was married to my ex he said, "No way, it never keeps that nice mounding shape" so for years I didn't have it. [Razz] When we split up it was the first thing I got! [thumb] My solution to the shape issue is when it gets big and floppy in mid-summer, I cut it back almost to the ground and it gives me a great shape again for fall! [clappy]

I took this picture yesterday!
 -

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by netty on September 30, 2006 08:52 PM
That's exactly what I do to mine Mel. As soon as I see the new growth starting I cut it back. I love it too...so soft!

-
 -
by melcon6 on September 30, 2006 08:57 PM
Yes, it is so soft! I'm constantly patting it and rubbing it! [clappy] [grin] [nutz]

-
 -

by TulsaRose on October 01, 2006 01:50 AM
Mel, that is so beautiful. My mom always had several patches of Silver Mound and it fascinated my kids to be able to "pet" it. [Wink] I think she divided hers every few years as it would begin to get ratty looking in the center.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Deborah L. on October 01, 2006 03:56 AM
Is it like lamb's ear?

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 01, 2006 04:27 AM
Is that a form of wormwood? I have some with that leave shape but it is much bigger and it's shape is very lanky.

-
 -
by melcon6 on October 01, 2006 07:19 AM
I wish I could properly describe the feeling of this Artemesia. It's so soft and moderately springy. When I rub the mound, I take the palm of my hand rounded against the top of the plant and lightly rub it back and forth. (Kind of as you would do to a little boy's head after they get their "summer cut". [Big Grin] ) The plant springs right back to it's original shapely mound. It does tend to get tall and lanky, losing it's shape, in the summer. That's why Netty and I cut it back, to get a second new mound in the same garden year.

Tammy, I found all the scientific information on wikipedia.org (I can't post the link). It is what some call wormwood. The scientific name is Artemisia schmidtiana.

-
 -

by Jiffymouse on October 01, 2006 10:34 PM
thanks for the scientific name mel, now i can go find out if it will grow in this heat!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Arrowhead Ivy| Next thread: Artemisia (Wormwood) »
Back to Thread index