The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How To Grow A Pineapple

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by papito on September 02, 2005 02:40 AM
I'd like to share this info from Dole Pineapple for those who wants to grow pineapples in the home garden. I have some actively growing in pots.
How To Grow A Pineapple

from the above site,
quote:
* First, twist the leafy crown from the fruit.

* Place it in a dry, dark place for a full week to allow the end to harden.

* Layer an 8-inch porous clay pot with an inch of coarse gravel, then fill with a good, light garden soil mixed with up to 30 percent well-composted organic matter. Be sure the pot has good drainage. Later, when the fruit grows, you'll want to transplant to a 12-inch pot - again, with gravel and good drainage.

* Water the soil once a week and fertilize with a household plant food fertilizer about every 3 months. If you live in a year-round warm climate, the potted plant should do well outdoors. But if your climate turns cold, keep the plant indoors during frost or freezing temperatures.

(Note that this tropical plant can suffer from "sun shock" if it is moved directly from indoors to the sun. If you are going to move it, let it adjust to the change by sitting in a semi-shaded spot for a few days first.)

When the plant is about 18 months old it will sprout a bright red cone. If this hasn't happened by 20 months, "coax" the cone out by putting the entire pot in a plastic (garbage) bag. Place a ripe apple in the bag and tie it closed, move to a shady spot and leave for 3 days. Remove the bag and return the plant to its usual sunny location. The bright red cone should appear after about 2 months. The next stage brings row upon row of beautiful, bright blue flowers which open over 2 weeks. When the petals of the last flower have dried, the fruit begins to develop. When your fruit is 6 months old, it becomes sweeter, turning from green to rich gold on the inside and outside. Time to pluck and enjoy it!

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Dixie Angel on September 02, 2005 04:54 AM
Thank you for copying the part you did, papito! I tried to get into the above site and it said it had no backend server (?) and timed out after 15 seconds.

Anyway, I have been growing my pineapple for three years and I have never seen it bloom. Maybe with the advice you copied, I will see success yet! Thanks, again...

Dianna

-
 -
by MissJamie on September 02, 2005 05:22 AM
thanks papito! I tried to grow it one time and it just died....guess I was doing it wrong! I got to the site fine don't know what the problem could be?

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Dixie Angel on September 02, 2005 05:34 AM
I had no problem getting to it when I tried again... [dunno]

Dianna

-
 -
by PAR_Gardener on September 02, 2005 05:47 AM
When I was in Hawaii in 2002, I visited the Dole Pineapple plantation. They gave slightly different directions which has worked very well for me.

After twisting the crown off the plant, Cut off the fleshy portion of the pineapple until you can see root nodules.

Pull off the several layers of leaves from the bottom.

Let the end dry several - 24 hours (depending on humidity).

Place in a cup with standing water.

The crown will send out roots into the water. (I used recycled yogurt cups. They're the perfect size. The leaves of the pinapple keep the plant from sitting in the water.)

Once the crown has rooted, pot up the plant like the web site / Papito's instructions suggest.

I've got to find that other web site with pictures and instructions.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by papito on September 02, 2005 06:34 AM
Is this link you have in mind?

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Pineapple/pineapple.htm

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by PAR_Gardener on September 02, 2005 07:25 AM
Papito,

That's not the site I had in mind, but I like all the details that it provides. I think your site is better. The site I was referring to is:

You Grow Girl

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: