The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Do potato plants always flower?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Eddee on August 27, 2005 11:19 AM
I have grown potatoes several times already with varying degrees of success. I actually followed directions this year (found on this site actually). So far, I have been left with very upright and green plants. One of the those plants has flowered (twice already) yet the others have not.
Where I live the growing season is short and starts late. These plants have been growing for at least 2 months now. I would have expected them all to flower by now!

What gives???
by Longy on August 27, 2005 02:33 PM
Eddee, are they the same variety as you've grown in other years? There are short season potatoes for such conditions. Maybe check on the type. Also, you may just be getting impatient??? How close is your first frosty night? Once the night temps fall and the length of days becomes less, i imagine they will flower. making flowers means they are making potatoes.
Did you happen to feed with a too high nitrogen fert? Nitrogen puts growth into the leaves at the expense of the flowers and tubers.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: