The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pumpkins

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: PUMPKIN WINE !| Next thread: pumpkins »
Back to Thread index
by ladybug67 on August 24, 2005 04:52 AM
Hello, i was wondering about pumpkins i have one plant and planted it in june and it has flowered but no pumpkins are growing yet any help would be great. Thanks danielle [wayey]

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by Veggie-T ' 92 on August 24, 2005 09:19 AM
Yeah im growing them too and didnt see any flowers for three months!
I was having similar problems with my watermelons and was told to use manure.
It made them both go crazy.
Veggie-T

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do the Poo
by weezie13 on August 24, 2005 08:35 PM
NO FLOWERS???????

Wow...I have a ton of flowers...

Can we ask what you've done to them
for fertilizers, *besides the manure, which is very good for them as they are very heavy feeders*
but the manure is nitrogen and is good for green growth...*not much on flowering though*

Are either of you bending towards strictly organic items, which are awesome for gardens..

Stay with your additives at planting like...Alfafa Meal, Blood and/or Bone Meal,
Compost, Fish Emulsion *this is great as a foliar feed*

Also, once in a while a quick water soluable fertilizer *I use Schultz Plus 10~60~10....
and that's good for the flowering and fruit production on the plants.....water the soil or give the plant a foliar feed too..
*But don't do it on a hot day, or to dry soil...
Best time is in the morning after watering..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ladybug67 on August 24, 2005 10:26 PM
Hello, thanks for the reply, I have flowers but nothing else is happening. I have only used miracle gro a while ago. And my watermellon have done nothing, but grown a bit, no flowers. What kind of compost can i use?? I have some grass clippings and i'm going to try to start a compost pile but haven't done much to it yet? Just have grass clippings so far lol. So not sure what to do with the pumpkin plant. I'm not sure how long it will take to grow. I was hoping to have some pumpkins for holloween for the kids?? Any help would be great. Where would i get some bone meal??or some manure? thanks danielle

by freestacy01 on August 25, 2005 12:07 AM
Ladybug67,

I just wanted to say that I live in Maine, and I also planted pumpkins and watermelons in early June. I still only have leaves on my Watermelons, but, have flowers on the pumpkins, and just Monday I found three baby pumpkins. So hold tight, your not far from here, so maybe your pumpkins will show any time! [flower]
by Kurlie77 on August 25, 2005 01:12 AM
I live in Maine also and I too have baby pumpkins on my plants! Its very exciting! Now that there are existing pumpkins, can anyone tell me how long I should expect until the pumpkins are ready to harvest? They are a jack-o-lantern variety.
by Jimmy_Hitler on August 25, 2005 02:51 AM
until halloween. then carve them
by topcat on August 25, 2005 04:32 AM
I used pre fertilized mulch(from my guinea pigs) and my pumpkin went wild this year, then we had a hail storm that ruined almost the whole plant, but I have 3 growing vines and there are 2 or 3 pumpkins growing on each vine, if it ever stops raining again, I want to check on the one vine, it grew thru my fence and is growing pumpkins on the grass.
by ladybug67 on August 27, 2005 07:27 AM
Thanks for the reply i guess iwill just have to wait and see. It really has been a weird year for tomatoes too. I hope i get some pumpkins soon to grow!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: PUMPKIN WINE !| Next thread: pumpkins »
Back to Thread index