The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Arabica Coffee Plant won't flower...??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by fbomeghan on August 16, 2005 04:04 AM
It is probably three or four years old. It has continued to thrive and grow as large as I let it, in a pot. It lives outdoors, gets filtered sunlight, lots of warm temperatures, plenty of water. I bring it inside when the evening temperatures dip below about 65 degrees. I was told that it takes four years before you can "harvest" the berries. Does it not begin blooming until then, as well? (I guess that would make sense.) I don't really feed it, but it loves when I do actually add old coffee grounds to its dirt....cannibal. Could it be that it needs more growing room? Could it be that it needs to be fed more? I would really appreciate the input anyone could provide.
by thebearswoman on August 16, 2005 11:27 AM
I would recommend that a fertilizer of a NPK ratio of 20-20-20 or as close as possible. With adding fertilizer the N will help promote it to push more green growth, P promotes the plant to flower, and the K will help the roots. I'm not very familiar with Coffee plants. But, if you do repot the plant do not fertilize it until 3-4 weeks after you repot it. When you repot the plant you should add some bone meal that will help the plant. HOpe this helps you out a bit. Good Luck!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: