The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

drought grrrrrrrrh

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on August 15, 2005 07:45 PM
Well I've lost 1/3 of my tomato plants due to the dry summer. I won't be trying them again next year. I just can not keep up with the watering and if I complete the other two tiers next year I'll be watching everything die unless I go for all succulents or very drought tolerant plants. It's like I might as well of not even planted this year it was such a loss.

At least finding you all will make it much better next year. And makes getting through the disappointments this year worth it.
by Dixie Angel on August 15, 2005 08:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
It's like I might as well of not even planted this year it was such a loss.
Well, Tammy, it is not a total loss if you learned something during your gardening experiments. [Wink] How many mater plants did you have? Could you keep just one watered next year?

Dianna

-
 -
by Sorellina on August 19, 2005 10:02 PM
tkhooper,

Just a thought, but it might actually be an irrigation issue that's causing your angst and not the tomato plants themselves. You might want to just take the winter to think over what irrigation options you might try for next year to make watering less painful and worrisome. For example, maybe a soaker hose on a timer. Talk to your neighbours also and ask what they're doing to deal with the drought conditions. Drip systems are also a good idea to free you up from worrying so much about your plants' water needs.

Chin up,
Julianna

-
by obywan59 on August 19, 2005 10:27 PM
Tammy, do you mulch your tomatoes? It helps a lot in conserving soil moisture. I know you live in an apartment, but is there any place your landlord would let you stash a few bags of leaves? Also, if your tomatoes are planted next to a building, they will dry out a lot faster than if planted out in the open because of the heat bouncing off the side of the building.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: