The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP?!? How do I stop them from digging???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Help.....Aphid Swarm!| Next thread: Help!!! Annuals?!? »
Back to Thread index
by Ravensrun65 on April 27, 2004 05:42 PM
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. [thumb] I've got almost every plant I own, outdoors, on pallets(to stop roots rom going into the ground) and would love to know how to stop those darling fluffy tailed rats from digging my plants up out of thier pots! I've got some that are VERY touchy about disturbing the roots, and they(squirrels)just don't quit! I would gladly shoot them with the .22, but we live "in town" now....boy, don't I wish I was back on 5 acres again! [Frown] ) I don't want to risk using poison....far too many other critters around. I just want them to leave my potted plants alone! So far, they really enjoy the Plumeria [Eek!] , Gingers [scaredy] , and Ledebourias [Mad] ....HELP!!!!! I don't want to encourage them to come here by putting out food for them....there is a huge amount of them in this neighborhood. They even break into the house next door! No one lives there...can you imagine what it must look like in there???
I just don't want to lose any more plants:ters:
Does anyone have any ideas???
Thanx in advance,
Rae

"I would feel more optimistic about a
bright future for mankind if we spent less
time proving that we can outwit Mother Nature
and more time tasting her sweetness and
respecting her seniority."
by Jiffymouse on April 27, 2004 06:44 PM
rae, when i lived in an area where guns were illegal, i got myself a wrist rocket sling shot. i promise you, if you can shoot a 22, you can pick those little suckers off with a sling shot. i got to where i could get a monkey off a fence at 30 yards. walmart sells them, not sure of the brand, but they look like a regular metal sling shot only they have a piece on the bottom of the handle that you put your hand through so that it is braced on top of your fore arm. that and a sack of small rocks [thumb] kept the monkeys away from my kids for 3 years that way!

oh, and before anyone gets up in arms about hurting "those cute little monkeys" i promise you, they are only cute in zoos and with organ grinders. oh, and in pictures. they carry diseases that haven't been identified yet, they are stronger than any man in the world, and their nails are like razors. they also have been known to take offence at the strangest things, and can be quite viscious.
by catlover on April 27, 2004 07:44 PM
might I add....they have a nasty BITE TOO!!!!! Is that when you were overseas Jiffy???
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by catlover on April 27, 2004 07:49 PM
Rae...I don't know anything about squirrel behavior but can't you trap them without killing and transfer to some remote area where they won't be harmed by humans????

Do you know any one who eats them....several people on this site enjoy squirrel meat!!???? [dunno]

Catlover

-
 -
 -
by Chrissy on April 27, 2004 08:47 PM
Wow, monkeys Jiffy? Where did you live that you had problems with monkeys???

As far a squirrels go, we have problems with them in my neighborhood too. The only way I was able to keep them out of my plants was to hang corn cob feeders in my trees. It keeps them out of the gardens & it doesn't cost much to buy the cobs in bulk at the local farm supply. I was afraid to put down poisen or traps because I have a very small pet dog & a ferret that play in my yard. So far so good though...they are staying at the feeders.

-
 -
z5b
by Jiffymouse on April 27, 2004 11:43 PM
yep catlover, that was when we were in the philippines. the full grown monkeys there were about the size of a 3 or 4 year old, and considered humans to be a threat. it didn't help that for humans, to grin is a sign of friendliness, but for a monkey, showing the teeth is a threat. so a laughing child is very quickly endangered around monkeys.

another idea that i have used, (before the monkey days) was to hang aluminum pie plates around where i didn't want the squirrels and then hit the pie plates with the rocks (either through or sling-shot) to scare them off. something about the combination of the noise, reflection, and rock whizzing by drove them off.
by Jiffymouse on April 29, 2004 03:26 AM
rae, i got this in my wayside gardens newsletter today and immediately thought of you (as well as those with cat problems)
quote:
Keep Away Garden Pests
Squirrels, rats, and raccoons are frequent, rather destructive, visitors. I utilize my 'hot tea' brew to repel these critters from my favorite plants, especially Tulip bulbs which are a squirrel delicacy.

Recipe for Hot Tea:
* a handful of peeled garlic cloves - put in a plastic bag and smash into bits with a hammer
* 3 hot peppers chopped OR 1 tbsp hot pepper flakes
* 1 quart hot water

Combine in a glass jar and allow to brew one week in a warm place. Strain the sediment (can use again for one more new batch) and pour brew in a spray bottle. Add 3 drops of liquid dishwasher soap (to prevent spray bottle from clogging) and spray outside on plants.

I also spray the foliage of my houseplants with this
'hot tea' to prevent my cats from chewing on the leaves. One word of caution: take the plants outside when you apply the 'hot tea'!!! Otherwise your whole house will reek of garlic!

This has worked like a wonder. It also works if you find mole tunnels while working in the yard. I spray some of this mixture into the walls of the tunnel before sealing it, and the moles do not return. - E. G. of Seattle, WA

by Chrissy on April 29, 2004 04:49 AM
What a great recipe idea Jiffymouse, thank you!! I have printed out that recipe & I am sure it will get some use around here:)

-
 -
z5b
by dixiedoodle on May 01, 2004 06:57 PM
The hot tea works as does sprinkling paprika around in your garden. Also a metal mesh - like a real small chicken wire or something - placed just beneath the soil works. That one especially works for kitties.

I'm not knockin anyone or anything, I just don't agree with using rocks and slingshots on wildlife. Perhaps it is different with monkeys, but we're talking about squirrels. Like someone already said, I found the best way to handle it is to feed them. If you hang squirrel feeders and corn up in your trees, they won't come down and bother your garden. They have no need to. It isn't "inviting them in". They don't want to be in your garden any more than you want them to be there. They are just looking for food. It is a huge risk to come out of the trees into someone's yard - they know this and they'd rather not. If they have what they need near them, they won't venture out. Good luck and be kind to the little guys. Remember, your house was built where there's already stood.

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help.....Aphid Swarm!| Next thread: Help!!! Annuals?!? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: