The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planting gardenias

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Planting from seeds or bulbs?| Next thread: Planting Garlic Seeds »
Back to Thread index
by Linda Sue on September 11, 2006 07:48 AM
What kind of soil do gardenias like? Acid,sandy, mulch, or what? Sunny or shady? Lots of water? - Thank you
by patches1414 on September 11, 2006 04:37 PM
Linda, gardenias prefer an acid, moist, well-drained soil with a lot of organic matter, such as compost or ground bark. Plant in light to moderate shade, preferably away from tree roots. They should be fed in the early spring with an acid plant food, fish emulsion or blood meal and again toward the end of June. Linda, what zone are you in? I didn't think gardenias would be hardy in Virginia. [dunno] I love [Love] them and their fragrance is heavenly, but they are hardy here. [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by debnoel on September 12, 2006 09:22 PM
I have a special place in my heart for the gardenia! I live in upstate NY and the gardenia is not hardy here, so I have one that I bring in for the winter. Do you want to plant it outside or have it as a house plant? They have very specific requirements for living and blooming. Mine blossomed all summer and it is putting out its last round of blooms now. They do have a heavenly fragrance. Miss Gardenia likes bright light, but not direct sun. She likes to get a good watering, but does not like to be constantly wet. She prefers temps that are warm during the day but somewhat cooler at night. Beware the whitefly. I have to spray mine with an insecticidal soap. Hope this helps.
by alankhart on September 13, 2006 02:35 AM
I don't remember the cultivar, but there is a hardy gardenia. I believe it's hardy to zone 6, maybe 5 with protection. I'm in zone 6b/7a and mine has so far done well the last 3 years. I also have it close to the house so it gets more warmth and protection in winter.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Planting from seeds or bulbs?| Next thread: Planting Garlic Seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: