The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sweet Pea / Trumpet Vine Question?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Sweet Irish Soda Bread| Next thread: Sweet pea seeds? »
Back to Thread index
by TheGardenerGuy on April 17, 2005 03:35 PM
Hi Everyone.... [wayey]
Do these vines bloom on old wood or new? [dunno] We were wondering if we should cut these back like we do with our clematis. [thinker]
Greg [gabby]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by rozy221 on April 17, 2005 04:52 PM
Hi gardenerguy! I'm not positive we're talking about the same thing-I've never heard what I have referred to as "trumpet vine", although I just ID'd it last year, but I consider mine a perennial sweet pea-don't know if that's the technical name-mine usually die most of the way back-I see you're in northern illinois-I wouldn't think it would be much different for you there. You've got me curious now, if we're even talking about the same thing, cuz that could make a LONG vine if not cut back....we'll have to wait for the experts. good luck!
by linda12159 on April 17, 2005 05:09 PM
Hi Gardenguy......I'm curious too!! Your asking about 2 different plants, right? Sweet Peas....AND....Trumpet Vines? I just planted both. Thats a good question!?

Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by TheGardenerGuy on April 17, 2005 05:19 PM
Hi....I'm talking about 2 different vines...The Sweet pea vine and the trumpet vine...
Sorry about the confusion.. [thinker]
We have both vines and the sweet pea vine bloomed the first yr. and the trumpet vine has yet to bloom..
I thought both vines might grow thicker if i cut them back...opinions? [thinker]
Thanks for the help! [thumb]
Greg [wayey] [angel]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by plants 'n pots on April 17, 2005 07:42 PM
Hi Greg ~

It took my 2 trumpet vines (1 red, 1 yellow) 5 years each before I saw a single bloom on either one of them. I was ready to rip them out, when I finally saw the first bloom! Of course after that, I read that it is usual for them to take this long. I hadn't pruned them, as I was wanting them to grow over the top of my shed. I'm not sure if they would've bloomed any earlier if I had pruned them, as most people I've spoken with since have said that it also took theirs that long to bloom.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by weezie13 on April 18, 2005 02:00 AM
HI [wayey] Greg!!!
I don't have a trumpet vine,
but the others gave you some good advice.

The Sweet Pea should have died right down
to the ground, and just a dead nothing vine
if anything left, take that away, and pull it
to the compost pile or somewhere's..
The new part of the vine from a perennial sweet pea comes up from the ground~all new!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by bkmdam on July 24, 2005 01:55 AM
I have an orange trumpet vine that has never bloomed. The plant is probably 4 or 5 years old. I do trim it back in the fall almost to the ground. Any tips on how to get the plant to bloom.
by TheGardenerGuy on July 24, 2005 07:51 AM
Ours FINALLY [Smile] bloomed this summer....its so pretty!! Its been there about 5 yrs...We took a large tree down in front of it and the added sunshine made it bloom and grow by leaps and bounds! [Smile]
Greg

-  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sweet Irish Soda Bread| Next thread: Sweet pea seeds? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: