The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

"Balkonstar" tomatoe question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: "Baileys"| Next thread: "canned" strawberries? »
Back to Thread index
by Arvydas on August 10, 2005 02:44 AM
Well, on some circumstances I've seeded tomatoes one months later than it must as usual. So now my tomatoes just starting to grow "apples". Besides - here started "rainy" days, so i almost think that i will not be able to taste my veggies. Maybe you know any methods to force them to grow faster ? Without any chemical intervention of course as i like clear food! [Smile]

And additional question - as i live in climate where real winter comes - will i have a chance to grow tomatoes ah home in this cold period ?

Thank you!
Arvydas

Tomatosets.de
tomatosets@tomatosets.de
by thebearswoman on August 10, 2005 03:01 AM
If you don't want to use a chemical fertilizer I recommend 20-20-20 NPK ratio, or as close as possible. But, if you don't want to do that then go fishing and throw the fish guts and head into the soil.
by Arvydas on August 10, 2005 03:06 AM
what is "20-20-20 NPK" ? [Smile] as i'm a new one - please some directions ... [Smile]

Thank you!
Arvydas

Tomatosets.de
tomatosets@tomatosets.de
by The Plant Doc on August 10, 2005 10:34 AM
N.P.K. stands for the "N" Nitrogen, "P" Phosphores, "K" Potassium break down in fertilizer. The numbers should appear on all packages of fertilizer such as 20-20-20 or 18-24-12. (a common starter fertilizer)

Most fertilizers even though man made are made with simple elements and are totally safe. There are many fertilizers labled as "organic" and are actually the same thing as the other. It is a play on words because "organic" by the dictionary definition only means that it is carbon based.

Like the Bearswoman said using fish buried under each plant is a good idea, and there are other natural fertilizers on the market as well. Personally I like using the man made stuff. It usually give better results and it is basically all the same stuff anyway.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Arvydas on August 10, 2005 11:58 PM
Ahh... no, nor NPK nor fish doen't fit to me. besides i grow my tometoes at balcony, so ... [Smile] Maybe warmer water could help ? As i know it works on flowers

Thank you!
Arvydas

Tomatosets.de
tomatosets@tomatosets.de
by The Plant Doc on August 11, 2005 05:59 AM
There are many forms of fertilizer that you can purchase that is suitable for using on potted plants and vegetables. Here in the States, Miracle Grow is the most popular brand name. You can also get fish emulsion, which is a by product from fish. I am not really sure what brands and types of fertilizer are availible to you over there in Lithuania.
Warmer water will do nothing, and if you were to do it with too warm of water you could harm the plant.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Arvydas on August 12, 2005 02:33 PM
Hmm ... thats all what i can say [Frown]

Thank you anyway!
Arvydas

Tomatosets.de
tomatosets@tomatosets.de

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: "Baileys"| Next thread: "canned" strawberries? »