The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

A pleasant surprise!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by floweringchild on September 05, 2006 02:50 AM
Hey ya'll! [wavey]

I recently had a pleasant surprise [Smile] when I picked a Mandevilla off my vine to float inside my house! I accidentally discovered Mandevilla has a pleasant fragrance when my nose peered into the center! [shocked] Did you know that?

-

-

-
 -
by angelblossom on September 05, 2006 03:00 AM
Stephanie that is soo beautiful And no I didn't know it had a fragrance [clappy] [thumb]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by dodge on September 05, 2006 07:36 AM
Steph,

This a beauty......Does it by any chance belong to the hibiscus family?

Resembles it......

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Jiffymouse on September 05, 2006 08:14 AM
nope, not a hibiscus relative. mandevilla is a vine. a pretty vine, but a vine none the less.
by floweringchild on September 05, 2006 09:28 AM
Hey angelblossom [wavey]

Thanks, Mandevilla is my favorite plant. It is such a beautiful plant! Freeze usually gets it though. [tears]

Hey dodge [wavey]
Thanks. Jiffymouse is correct. Mandevilla is not related to Hibiscus It is a vine. I've seen waxy leafed Mandevillas as well. I prefer the standard though.

Thanks Jiffymouse! [wavey]

Are there others who grow Mandevillas? [flower] Want to chat about this beautiful flower? [flower]

-
 -
by angelblossom on September 05, 2006 09:55 AM
I've tried it a couple of times but they never took for me [tears]

-
 -
by floweringchild on September 05, 2006 10:14 AM
Hey angelblossom! [wavey]

Sorry you can't get those beautiful Mandevilla to bloom or survive. [tears]

Don't give up girl. My Mandevilla vine is potted and trellised up to my fountain on the fence. The Mandevilla gets northeast sunlight. I water it about two or three times a week. I have added Colorburst 15-30-15 fertilizer.

Others growing Mandevilla in their area?

-
 -
by buzylady on September 05, 2006 10:20 AM
Yes i had one like that one. Something happened to it and it died. I bought another it bloomed and grew. Saved it through the winter(which wasn't that easy) I brought it outside this yr. It never did anything and finally died. I really like the flower tho. Maybe I'll try again. You have warmer weather than I do.
Yours looks very nice.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by angelblossom on September 05, 2006 11:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by floweringchild:
Hey angelblossom! [wavey]

S
Don't give up girl. My Mandevilla vine is potted and trellised up to my fountain on the fence. The Mandevilla gets northeast sunlight. I water it about two or three times a week. I have added Colorburst 15-30-15 fertilizer

Oh Okay I put mine in the ground [dunno] Maybe next spring I'lll give it another try [thumb] I made note in my plant journal of what you do and welcome any other advice I have a really good NE area that has nothing there a mandavilla would be perfect there IF I could just get it going!!

Hey Buzylady I was just thinking about you the other day!! I will PM you!

-
 -
by comfrey on September 05, 2006 11:55 AM
Your Mandevilla is very pretty and healthy and I didn't know they had a fragrance either. I have a friend who has one she digs hers up every year and takes it to someone she knows who has a greenhouse to over winter it and then sets it back out in the spring, she has had the same one for years.

-
 -
by plantqueen on September 06, 2006 03:28 AM
I have a mandevilla that I have been growing this year, but in MN they are basically an annual unless you can find a way to overwinter it. They are kinda spendy to buy as annual, but I really like them. My sister-in-law got me started on them. Very pretty!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by floweringchild on September 06, 2006 09:42 AM
Hi buzylady, [wavey]

Thanks Diane! I definitely think you should try your hand once again with Mandevillas. Sure worth it as it is such a beautiful plant. [flower] Yes, we do have a warmer winter here in the New Orleans area, zone 9. Actually we only have 2 seasons.

Hey angelblossom, [wavey]
It was a shot in the dark with me planting it NE and my Mandevilla definitely loves the spot!
I am hoping to keep this plant [flower] alive thru our winter. We'll see.

comfrey, hi, [wavey]
Thanks! I bet your friend's Mandevilla is very pretty, especially since it's old and does great each year. That's a great idea she has with digging it up for the winter, then re-planting it.

Hi plantqueen [wavey]
Thanks! I love this plant. [flower]

Are there others with Mandevillas [flower] in their garden. Would love to hear about it!

-
 -
by floweringchild on September 08, 2006 12:58 AM
comfrey [wavey]
Does your friend cut back her Mandevilla before she digs up for overwintering? Little curious!

Okay everyone, I found the card that came with my Mandevilla. Thought I would list the info that is on the card for those who are interested in this plant!

Alice du Pont
Mandevilla
Mandevilla x amabilis "Alice du Pont"

Mature Plant Height: As trained

Light - Semi Shade

Spacing - 3 - 4 '

Bloom Time - Year-Round

Water Usage - Moist

Growth Rate - Fast

Average Size - As trained

Cold Hardiness - 30 degrees F (1 C)

Pruning - Prune to control size

Fertilization - Every 6 - 8 weeks

Grown as a flowering annual in colder climates.

Planting tips
Dig hole 2 times width of pot. Set top of root ball even with ground level. Combine planting mix and soil. Fill to ground level and tamp. Form water basin. Water to settle soil. Add layer of mulch. Check often for water until established. Fertilize spring and fall.

[flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 08, 2006 03:02 AM
Well I have definitely added this plant to those that I want to try and grow. How does it do as a house plant? I'm not sure my next apartment will have a place where I can grow things outside. But I would love to have one inside. I have three hanging baskets only two that I am currently utilizing so if it will grow inside I'm definitely interested.

-
 -
by comfrey on September 08, 2006 10:38 AM
I'm not sure whether my friend cuts her back before digging it up, but I would think that she would in order to get to her friend with the greenhouse, other wise it would be to hard to handle getting it into her car.

-
 -
by comfrey on September 08, 2006 10:46 AM
I seen this same Mandavilla at Home Depot yesterday in bloom, they had them for sale....Why would they be selling them right now???? Maybe because it is their blooming time??? Just seems strange to me to buy a plant to enjoy for a few weeks and then in a month or two be killed by freezing weather.

-
 -
by floweringchild on September 08, 2006 11:35 AM
tkhooper, hi [wavey]
Not sure how a Mandevilla would do as a house plant. The card suggests planting in ground. Mine is potted and is doing just great! It would be worth a try in your house. One never knows until one tries right? [Wink]

hello again comfrey [wavey]
Okay, I would think your friend cuts it back before digging out of ground for overwintering too.

Are there others with Mandevillas in their garden? [flower]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: