The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cats? Does anyone have a suggetsion??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: cats & leaves| Next thread: Cats and dracaena »
Back to Thread index
by Mr.I.G.Oliver on March 13, 2004 12:47 PM
I have recently moved to a new house and we have a bit of a problem with wandering cats. Many of our neighbours have cats and allow them to roam freely around the neighbourhood. I have nothing against cats as such but they do tend to use our garden as a toilet. I do not wish to use any harsh mesures to deter them from fouling our garden, but with two young children I am not overly happy with the situation.
Any suggetsions please?

Mr I.G.Oliver
Grimsby
Great Britain
(Maths tutition available on request:) )
by Jillie on March 13, 2004 03:15 PM
Good mroning, Mr. I.G. Oliver, and welcome to the Forum. [grin] Here's a beginning for you:

Cat repellent

There will be other members along soon to add more assistance. This is a friendly, helpful place and you'll be able to get just about any question answered.

-
 -
by apples on March 14, 2004 10:05 AM
I'm putting my bonzai out in the front yard this year and it's a juniper so... I've heard that cats like to mark their teritory on them. Anyways the point is I asked some one on this bonzai forum and they had told me citrus helps repel them pretty efficently. I plan on pouring some lemon juice surounding it and put orange peals around as a test so you could try something like that. If you get a chance to try it befor I do tell me how it goes. [Wink]

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Jiffymouse on March 15, 2004 12:22 AM
[wayey] welcome to the garden helper [wayey] from everything I have heard, and seen, oranges and citrus works. I leave oranges on my dinner table and the cat finally decided to stay off, so that would be a cheap place to start!
by Canadian CrabGrass on March 16, 2004 03:42 PM
I feel for you, I have a problem myself with strays that come and leave their mark around one of my basement windows, the stench is unreal! [Razz]

There are a few things that will work ( citrus, outdoor repellents, pine cones strewn through your garden ) I find that alternating methods works best for me - it seems to keep the darn things guessing! And be sure to check/reapply your chosen repellent after a rain or wind storm.
by papito on March 16, 2004 08:08 PM
Info on Coleus-Canina Hybrid

Plant to repel cats & dogs, etc. from garden

In US:
Scardy Cat! & Dog's Gone!

In UK:

Scardy Cat-Coleus

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by apples on March 18, 2004 05:04 AM
One thing is the main cat I'm worried about with my tree is also a freind and I don't wan't to scare it away. He sits on our steps all the time and in the large flower box which is also on the steps. I wan't to plant the tree in the box but don't want the cat to go in it. Will the citrus make him not sit on our steps at all?

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by angelia on April 07, 2004 12:07 AM
mothballs...just plain ordinary everyday mothballs work great around my house. I just toss in a couple every now and then. I don't like the smell, of course, but it beats getting my hands on something the cats leave behind! Also this works to rid your beds of spiders and other creepy crawlies. I've noticed too that the rabbits (which have all but taken over) don't seem to enjoy the beds with the mothballs in them. I've never tried the citrus idea, but don't think it will work here in Louisiana because of the fireant problem many of us have. [Mad]
by Raenkatz on April 08, 2004 12:04 AM

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cats & leaves| Next thread: Cats and dracaena »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: